• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating "in-school"

Hey-- for some adults karate is the only real socialization they get outside of work. And take into consideration you're meeting people with a built in common interest and I think it makes sense that people will find each other through MA classes. In fact, on dating sites, taking classes to find someone with a common interest is usually one of the tips.

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful! If things don't work out it will be ackward after breaking up. You definitely don't want to date multiples in the same club as you will get an unwanted reputation.

The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

• 4 weeks later...

This kind of thing I'm sure happens in any place where people come together. I'm pleased with the dynamic at my dojo though. I have seen maybe some very minor flirting among the teens before and after class, but during class it is all about the karate, and people seem properly focused. The director is married and does not display any inappropriate behaviour at all. He sets a good tone for a fun but focused class.

As far as relationships within the dojo, I think it probably could work, but people would have to be mindful of the complications.

as much as i am against people dating in school, but as long as it doesn't affect their training (or interrupt others) when they break up or stay together i don't care.

But i have noticed that there are some people that i have seen in class that i think that would be cute together. has anyone else seen this?

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't get involved with dating at my karate school. I like one of the black belts that goes to my old dojo, but I don't think he likes me.

But i have noticed that there are some people that i have seen in class that i think that would be cute together. has anyone else seen this?

I have seen that. These two kids have a crush on each other and I think it's kind of cute.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I know there are exceptions that work out well. I've trained under 2 husband/wife teams in my 30+ years of training. However, I personally wouldn't want to risk the discomfort of a break up at the training hall. I'd recommend folks not date within the MA classroom.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton