• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating "in-school"

Hello,

We removed a couple of posts from this thread in error. They are below. I apologize for the confusion. Thanks.

My wife started training at a club i used to goto and got pregnant, she had to leave. At our club one of the lads married a fellow student, she got pregnant, so she had to stop training. Our instructors wife got pregnant she had to leave, assistant instructors wife got pregnant she had to leave(gasping for breath).

Ladies, if you train here, remember, a condom is an important peice of safety equipment. :lol:

lol

• 5 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a social atmosphere necessarily leads to a McDojo. Neither does it mean it leads to dating. Some people just have different styles.

Ha- a bit late to the party but here it goes~

I agree- casualness does not mean sloppy technique or bad training at all. For example, I've for the most part seen BJJ places being very casual, and yet there are some hard core fighters there. Likewise traditional okinawan karate used to be casual as well, and if you do find a more old school kung fu gym (without ranks), you may find that the atmosphere is more relaxed than you are used to where you might train. Proximity breeds attraction, and relationships where people just met out of the blue are less common than people meeting up because they had the same friend, interests, school, etc. Personally, I think that a member of the fairer (or at least less smelly) gender does martial arts, it is very attractive. What's more romantic and beneficial to a healthy relationship than fighting?

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Agreed!

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

• 4 years later...

Wow I just went through this whole thread and enjoyed every post.

Although I do fancy a girl in my class I'll hold on to my feelings and concentrate on my training for now. But God help me its difficult! All this testosterone and sweat makes for such a chemistry in the dojo its hard to keep focus.

• 2 weeks later...

JohnnyB, maybe you could chat her up and ask her out sometime. :) It sounds like you've got your head on straight about it, i.e. put your training first, but the same as with sparring, be alert for opportunities. In this case, I mean to chat, of course. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Baaaaad idea to date in dojo. The only time I think it is ok if your dating someone who trains with you is if your dating someone outside of the school then they join your dojo.

Then if you break up with them when they're training at your dojo then it will become extremely awkward

You'd be hard pressed to enforce a rule about not dating in either of the dojos that I attend, considering that they are both run by husband and wife teams who met each other through MA! :lol: And in one case, they will be celebrating their 30th anniversary next year!

There are also a bunch of us who train who were dating/married long before we set foot in the dojo. In most cases one person started then eventually dragged the other person in. :P

• 1 month later...
You'd be hard pressed to enforce a rule about not dating in either of the dojos that I attend, considering that they are both run by husband and wife teams who met each other through MA! :lol: And in one case, they will be celebrating their 30th anniversary next year!

There are also a bunch of us who train who were dating/married long before we set foot in the dojo. In most cases one person started then eventually dragged the other person in. :P

Oh yeah that is so true. I have been doing karate for 12 years now and i have been teaching my girlfriend for the last 2 years (we've been together for just over 4.5 years) and she joined up last week.