• 3 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWMBO and I met through Taekwondo. We started dating when she was a yellow belt and went public when she was a green belt. Even though I was her instructor of record, every single time she tested, I always made sure that there was at least one other certified instructor on the judging panel and I *always* took their recommendation for her promotion. Word got around about how I was handling it and there was never a question of favoritism or preferential treatment.

• 3 months later...

Well after reading all these coment on ppl who actually dated in the dojo, I may rethink my idea of hooking up with girls in my karate class

"Martial Arts is kinda like yin and yang when you think about it; it 50% physical and 50% mental"

Ok, I think that it can be a bad thing, but like most situations, there are upsides too. I've dated within a club before and broken up- no problems either time! I'm currently dating an assistant instructor of both the arts that I take (we have been for a year and a half) and, though there are little problems to overcome, it really brings us closer and helps motivate us to train harder and more often.

I'm most certainly not saying the it will work out for everyone- but it just has for me- and so it won't necicarily not work out for everyone:)

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu

Good Grief. Well, actually, it is mainly that "Dudes and Dudettes" story. I got through about two lines and promptly fell off of my chair, victim to an incapicatingly (or decapicatingly?) terrible migraine. I go to the Dojo, and, well, umm, train and teach. I am not sure what else y'all do, all I know is that it is a fiercly efficient headache-inducer.

-Monseuir Le Sijedpero

PS:

Just in case anybody at the moment is thinking of tracking me down via my IP number and beating the livin HMPHF out of me, I have two things to say. Firstly, that was kinda-mostly a joke, and, secondly, I have a $20 dollar airsoft gun and am not afraid to use it :cowboy: .

Edited by Whitefeather

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

well you are right I wouldnt want to be in a school full of x's. But me I like one and I like to stay with one. And I dont think you will find alot of girls in a dojo. Unless you live in a certian place.

e-mail:

one_with_fire_ruisoka@yahoo.com

"Now the valiant can fight; the cautious can defend, and the wise counsel. Thus there is none whose talent is wasted."

-Li Ch'uan-

Sorry. Daggummed double-post/edit scum confusion.

"Between genius and insanity, there lies a fine line. I like to think of it as the tip of the diving board."

-An anonymous insane genius

"Fight I, not as one that beateth the air"

Well, I know two of our blackbelts think it was a good idea... They are married and expecting their first child! Of course they were a bit older than teenagers when it started :)

• 5 weeks later...

This thread is still alive... what a shock. :roll:

When I was in highschool, I was training at my original martial arts gym. I was perfectly fine -- sure I was a social outcast at school, but I was happy breaking a sweat and training in my art. Then one day, she walked in.

After the enchantment period, I managed to ignore her for the longest time. However, I became a friend of her younger brother, in a sense. Asides from that ackward scenario, I couldn't get past the fact that this beautiful creature was more appealing as a person, a martial artist, a female day by day.

Though I asked her out, something happened. It was something between her parents and I (my head spins trying to recall); feelings suddenly got artillery-fire. To this day, I'll never forget her. She and I hardly spoke afterwards, and still felt tension between us. However, there were times that we still smiled to each other -- and she did the nicest thing before we never saw each other again: she made it a point to watch me test for probationary-black.

In spite of the fact that nothing happened, she was the closest thing I've ever had to a girlfriend. Though I dated a couple times last summer some random co-worker, it was totally pathetic, and my feelings are lost and empty. As devoid a relationship it was, there hasn't been anyone like her.

Bottom line -- I loath my past, and I despise the idea of meeting someone as a martial artist. If I ever meet a woman, it'll be as a man, not as a karateka/kickboxer/whatever.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

My ex and I started the same Judo class, and it was no big. My current bf and I have been training together (he is actually an instructor in one of my classes) and its been nothing but wonderful. We once had a problem, but it was social, not MA related at all. It's good for our club because I'm the buisness manager, and of course we have constant communication on issues and plans. It helps us have something that we are both passionate about to share. We've been doing this for 1.5 years now, and all is well and good.

You suck-train harder.......................Don't block with your face

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.

-Lao Tzu