Dating "in-school"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

though saying that in my last post we have a new student in our class and she is quite hot so i might have 2 try it lol. if a girl or a boy dont come back after they split up it shows that they aint that serious about their MA.

Strive to Become The Type Of Person That Others Do Not Normally Encounter In This World

I would love it if everyone i spoke to or met throughout my life would benefit from being with or speaking to me. - Life goal

I See The Sunshine But Their's A Storm Holding Me Back.

Yeah, I would never quit MA just because it was awkward training with an ex. I sort of had that problem once and got through it; I was 14. There was this cute blackbelt at my dojo, and we both obviously had major crushes on eachother. We'd always flirt MA style (sweeping eachother, etc), until we "broke up" (but not really, because we never actually "went," but you know what I mean ;) . Then it was awkward and really embarrassing for me because him and his new gf would go to class together and flirt the same ways we used to (arrghh....). Neither of us left the dojo; he was a blackbelt and I a purple belt that had only been there 1 year, but I was too addicted to leave because I was embarrassed. Later he broke up with her but continued ignoring me, but now we're friends and we talk a lot and stuff. We are sort of starting to have a a thing for eachother again, but we both kind of already know that it wouldn't work out. We never actually said anything, it was just sort of a mutual agreement. We never asked eachother out because we both just... I dunno, knew. lol.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

For Instructors:

DON'T DATE YOUR STUDENTS!!!

It's different if you BRING a significant other INTO the martial arts. But your school is not your dating service. If you start this, your school will forever suffer. My Instructor has this as a rule. If he finds out that you are dating your student, the student will be barred from training (ever) at the school.

For Students:

Your instructor's school is his/her livelihood. By treating the school like a place to meet and pick up chicks or guys, then you jeopardize the ability to keep the school running and your training to continue. That said, you cannot stop human nature, I met my own wife training under my instructor. This year, almost 14 years later, she tests for HER Master's belt. She helps me teach MY students. However, I was up teaching in my home town, while she was working in the office at the school, 90 mile apart. Seeing her actually helped me get down to the school more, and probably helped inspire her to make not just Black Belt a goal, but making Master a goal... Still, that is the exception, not the rule,... a true relationship, respectful of the school's environment. If it's just dating tomfoolery, then it can only hurt the school...

Master Jason Powlette

5th Dan, Tang Soo Do

--Tang Soo!!!

Not necessarily, my sensei owns his private dojo because karate is his hobby. He teaches classes 5 days a week, and on top of that he has a full-time job.

DORKS HAVE MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savvy?

• 3 weeks later...

I have read throught these posts and some good points were raised , as long as the people involved were mature and responsible enough to keep their relationship outside the class , I don't see a problem . people are entitled to their private lives ,But if the relationship starts interfearing with their training and the training of other students . Then it is a different thing entirely !

your hands and feet are all the protection you need, you win some you loose some but you live to fight another day !!!

Or, you could do it the way we do it in my dojo...

There are no teenage girls.

The oldest girl kid is 12. The youngest woman after that is mid 30s.

Poor me. Guess I'll have to stick with the soap operas at my high school.

Though, I was thinking about trying to convince my girlfriend to start taking karate (she wants to). Bad idea?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

• 2 months later...

Though, I was thinking about trying to convince my girlfriend to start taking karate (she wants to). Bad idea?

Peace;

Parkerlineage

My advice to you if you are going to bring your gf to your dojo..although I don't know how exactly you train.. make sure she understands that you will be hitting, throwing, locking, pinching, kicking, and otherwise inflicting all kinds of pain on each other. I know at my dojo (where my gf trains and loves it), they don't make allowances for personal relationships. I have to beat the tar out of my brothers (who also train there) and girlfriend and no complaints are allowed. Of course we are all adults and if someone really objected, they could just leave. But when we spar and are training self-defense, one steps, etc.. just make sure your gf is comfortable with bruising and being bruised by you. Have fun!

"What if your enemy is three inches in front of you, what do you do then? Curl into a ball? Or do you put your fist through him!?"

"It's the wood that should fear your hand, not the other way around. No wonder you can't do it, you acquiesce to defeat before you even begin!"

-Pei Mei

Keep in mind, you are going to class to train, not meet dates. if you are an Instructor, DO NOT DATE YOUR STUDENTS. I cannot emphasize that enough.

Also, color belts in the same class should not date each other. Yeah, I know human nature being what it is what if an attractive student joins? What if an attractive student does join? Put your personal feelings aside and focus on why you're there. Wait until both of you are black belts. Camaraderie in class is okay, but sexual politics muddies the waters too much. Again, you are there to train not meet dates.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"