• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dating "in-school"

I think a lot of it depends on your age. If you're 15 and dating someone in the dojo chances are the relationship isn't going to last very long and when you do break up immaturity sets in and that is where the problems arise.

2nd Degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and Tae Kwon Do. 1997 NASKA competitor-2nd place Nationally in Blackbelt American Forms. Firearms activist!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Its never a good idea to in school date I speak from experience. I used to go out with this one girl and its really hard if you're an instructor to focus. We broke up mutually but then she started resenting me so I left the school becuase of her and alot of drama and politics wiht the master. Then we also have this group of ours for a demo team from the old school we all learned. Well two of my friends out of this group decided to date and it lasted about a month. Ever since then there has been a split in the group and now I have to set up times for the rest of us to practice with one and not the other.

Choi, Ji Hoon Instructor-

3rd Dan-Tae Kwon Do

3rd Dan Hapkido

International Haedong Gumdo Federation

Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)

• 2 weeks later...
You are there to train, not to make with the lovey lovey flirty flirty crap. If you don't flirt with the girl, and turn down her first few flirt attempts, chances are you won't hit it off. Unless it really IS meant to be.

Just a quick question, because it's illegal for a school student to date a teacher, is it the same in karate? I don't think it is is it?

I guess it would depend on the age of the student.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

-Lao-Tse

I think it's only illegal for a student to date a teacher (in the actual book-learning kind of school) because the students are generally under 18, and the teachers are generally older than that, thus making the students illegal to anyone. Besides legal action, I think most schools have policies against student-teacher relations. But then, I've never really been in a position to know :D

Sensei-student relationships would depend on the ages involved, just as karate_woman said (don't forget, sometimes the teachers are under 18, but the students are older!!). Other than the whole age thing, there would be no law (in the US anyway) prohibiting a sensei to date his/her student.

A lot of dojos (including mine) seem to have rules against an Instructor dating any student at all.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Not a bad idea. Other paying students might get the idea there is favortism otherwise.

Ken Chenault

TFT - It does a body good!

Wow, I haven't been on here in about a year and just checking back on this.... You know, my instructor met his fiance at our docheng but most of the students don't even know it. He keeps it very professional and she'd have it no other way so there is no problem. I, however, haven't learned my lesson and dated that girl again. Didn't turn out, of course. We've got prom next week but I don't really want to go. She'll be going 2 hours away to college this summer. We're still planning on being best friends though. In the meantime, I'm starting to date this girl from another one of our karate schools (we have 7 under the same master) that lives an hour away. Going to her prom too. I guess, if you can be mature (unlike the first girl :kaioken: ) then things are fine.

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

I guess it depends on your priorities. If you really want to find someone and that someone shares the same interest as you - i.e., martial arts - then grow up and go out with them! Hmmm, what's more important, finding the love of your life or doing martial arts? Uhhh, let me guess... :roll:

Man I sound old. But that's the problem with relationships today; they're penciled into peoples' schedules between work and play:

• 6:00 - Dinner
  • 7:00 - Martial arts
  • 7:15 - Fall in love
  • 7:45 - Sparring
  • 8:00 - Go home