• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yippeeee, my little boy used the potty

Shotokan-kez

:) Hi guys just need to share this with you all because i am so excited. My boy Ethan is 2 and 9 months old and he has finally started using the potty. He isn't ready for the toilet yet because i think it frightens him, although he has sat on it without doing anything.

One day i was on the phone to my mum and i turned to see him having a wee on his potty i was so excited i just dropped the phone and swooped him up, dancing around and shouting 'yay you big clever boy, well done!'. (I think Ethan thought mummy was going mad) :D . Mum was still there and i told her, she also told him how clever he was.

Ever since then he hasn't looked back, everytime now he uses the potty and he even takes it away to pour down the toilet! :up:

Now here's the problems i am facing and was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on this. Firstly he won't do a number two in the potty, he holds it in so long it hurts him and he gets constipated. When he needs to do one he runs in with a nappy to put on him so he can do it. I do refuse this but then i almost always find it on the floor somewhere :(

Second thing is that if he is running around with no underwear on there is no problem what-so-ever about him doing a wee on the potty, but if he has clothes on (without a nappy) he wee's in his clothes! I'm going through lots of washing.

I am really, really proud of him for doing it and i still dance around the living cheering and swinging him round (which he seems to enjoy). But if i can get him to realise he has to pull his trousers down before weeing then i have cracked it and he can go to nursery. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks guys, Kez :karate:

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Congrats. :D I don't have any advice, though. I just learned myself not too long ago.

Hooray for you, Kez! I don't know about the other, though, but I could ask my wife...she's a clever one.

I can understand your excitement. My youngest, a boy, just turned 1. I am so happy!!! I don't about this whole potty training thing, though! :lol:

Awww just turned one brings back memories. Potty training is a nightmare, or it is for me anyway. Some mums (or dads) have it cracked in a matter of days. But yes it is exciting, i knew he was ready because he kept taking his nappy off and getting poop everywhere....eeewwww, not pleasant.

Yes please ask your wife, would be great to have other advice.

Thanks x

Awww just turned one brings back memories. Potty training is a nightmare, or it is for me anyway. Some mums (or dads) have it cracked in a matter of days. But yes it is exciting, i knew he was ready because he kept taking his nappy off and getting poop everywhere....eeewwww, not pleasant.

Yes please ask your wife, would be great to have other advice.

Thanks x

Will do!

:)

One day i was on the phone to my mum and i turned to see him having a wee on his potty i was so excited i just dropped the phone and swooped him up, dancing around and shouting 'yay you big clever boy, well done!'.

Hope you let him finish before you did :D

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Patience my dear Kez is a virtue - he will get there eventually and am sure seeieng you excited over going for a wee will help. Kids dont like to feel pressure, I know its hard watching him have accidents and the like but kids dont react well to threats and orders - the best thing I found with Shannon was to just let her be. I know this might not work for all kids but she found her way by herself eventually.

Karate Ni Sentinashi

There is a show called "Yes, Dear!" that was on CBS (I don't know if you'd get it in the UK, I doubt it) but the premise is there is one family and the wife/mom's sister and her husband and kids live in the first family's guest house. Well anyway they have an episode where they are potty training the kids and they leave one kid outside naked with a potty and let the kid run around and he learns it in 3 days. Now that's in southern California where the weather is always nice. I don't think you'd be able to do that with the weather in the UK.

But, my advice is whenever you know that your son used his potty, offer positive feedback and to make him realize that it's a good thing to go on the potty. Also, I don't know if you do this, but don't be negative around your son if he wets his pants or whatever because, from what I've heard, that can cause problems from shame and whatnot.

Anyways, good luck.

Patience my dear Kez is a virtue - he will get there eventually and am sure seeieng you excited over going for a wee will help. Kids dont like to feel pressure, I know its hard watching him have accidents and the like but kids dont react well to threats and orders - the best thing I found with Shannon was to just let her be. I know this might not work for all kids but she found her way by herself eventually.

Yeah kirsty i agree it is about patience, i think i'm so giddy about it i just want it to happen....like now :D

Thanks Zapatista, very good advice. You are both right, i don't use anything negative when he does it in his pants..accidents happen. I was very pleased however, i was at my parents course on tuesday morning and Ethan goes in the creche, i put him a pull up on but the staff told me he went to the toilet, so i was pleased about that.