• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What inspired you?

kilogreen

well i always like martial arts, but never took a class until 3 years. i thought my parents would say no, but i called the dojo and set up a time for me to try it. then i told my parnets, they knew i was serious about taking karte since i went through the trouble of calling. lol now i'm brown belt and one of the people to go to for help.

<3

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is Korean and I've been around asian people (mostly Koreans) most of my life. I've always had an interest in MA and also in Eastern philosophy. When I finally decided to take the plunge it was because I wanted to improve my fitness and mental focus and gain self confidence and discipline. Natually, I originally wanted to study TKD but the best dojo in these parts is Wado-ryu. I've been training hard for 6 months now and loving every minute of it. Wado has become a way of life for me and I have gained more than I ever dreamed I would. I'm 49 years old and in the best shape of my life both physically and mentally.

I first started Karate when I was 7 until around 16 as someone told my family it was good for discipline and heath . I attained Shodan. Boy I was suprised when my daughter decided one day out of the blue that she would like to start training and I restarted with her and we loving every minute of it.....

:D

I always wanted to get involved when I was a kid, but my parents couldn't afford it.

When my two boys started, I figured even at my age I could at least have some fun with it. Its become part of my day. Helps me with fitness, and keeping my mind in the right prospective.

When I moved away from home to go to college, I started looking for an activity to occupy my free time. I checked the list of activities at my college and there it was, karate in all it's glory. At the time I had not even seen a Bruce Lee movie!

It turned out I was very lucky because I ended up with a good teacher. Being totally clueless at the time I could have ended up in a martial art school where the level of proficiency is very disputable without knowing it...

That was a turning point in my life because it changed me from an obnoxious kid to a more mature and friendlier adult :)

EclecticFighter.com, for all your makiwara & Muk Jong needs!

For me, it was my Dad. He has been doing Karate since before I was born and I grew up watching him practise at home. As soon as I was old enough, I was in the class and have pretty much been training ever since.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I always wanted to get involved since I was a kid. Since I was the natural pick on (skinny, glasses, braces, red hair, freckles etc) I had my share of bully attention. Somehow I made it through those years, and didn't make the move until my son decided to sign up. I decided now or never. What I'm hoping to gain:

-Improvement in health - neither parent saw the age of 60

-Discipline

-Confidence - Don't like being intimidated by large aggressive types

-Self defence - being able to protect myself and family

-Inner self - Learn to focus and understand my inner psyche (sp?)

So far, I've made some positive changes that I'm hoping will be life long. I'm starting to see that MA are a way of life as opposed to an interest or hobby.

My dad was in Kyokushin since I was 5, I wanted to join but couldn't because it was full contact and he wouldn't sign permission..so I started Shotokan at age 8 until I turned 16, one could say I was very committed.

A New Age Dawns

I started because I wanted my son to go. He had, and still has, some self esteem issues and I thought karate would be a great place for him to learn how to respect himself. Also, since in karate you are only competing against yourself, I didn't have to worry about him "losing" all the time in competitive sports. I had originally thought of a dojo in a nearby town, but it was more money than I could afford. After talking to a parent of my daughter's friend and finding out that there was a non-profit dojo in my own town, that was significantly less expensive, I signed all three of us up! We are now in our third year, my son is a purple belt, my daughter a yellow and I'm green. It's been a wonderful experience for all three of us, and I can see a lifetime of MA in our lives. My son is a bit more confident now, although he's having bullying issues in school, and my daughter is MUCH more confident in herself. It's been great for both of them.