• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Beer, alcohol and MA

However, we are martial artists, not monks. You only live once, and I have seen too many colleagues enjoy rum and Cokes to really think teaching martial arts precludes you from imbibing. We also, as far as I know, are not training in monastaries. We have every right to enjoy ourselves like other people. Just don't overdo it. And if you do, don't drive and don't do it around students.

Monks are some of the biggest drinkers in Japan! Rich too. They do not have to pay taxes. :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have had to limit my drinking to maybe 1or 2 drinks a week. and it is useually only 1 or 2 drinks a month.our fight nights are pretty intence. " drink up fat boy you got a fight on thrusday night."

Cars make you weak

• 1 month later...
All you people avoid drinking ? Or drink moderate ? or like to drink well? Do yo think that may affect your physical /mental condition in MA ?

I personally love beer ,and enjoy it. I love to get a cold one when I come back at night after a long day....

They call me the drunken master.

• 2 weeks later...

"Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me"...Sir Winston Churchill.

In all seriousness though, be drink aware.

"The difference between the possible and impossible is one's will"

"saya no uchi de katsu" - Victory in the scabbbard of the sword. (One must obtain victory while the sword is undrawn).

https://www.art-of-budo.com

I've got to say I commend Sensei Rick, on his out look on things. Now, I'm not judging anyone who has a few drinks. I just really respect people that ave no urge or need for things such as this.

I'm a teenager/young adult adn I don't drink and have never felt the need to use any kind of substance like that.

I have plenty of friends that enjoy drinking, and many worse things, as well as my father used to be a alchy.. and I've just never felt the urge to get sloshes or even the slightest bit drunk and stummble around like a fool. Not saying that anyone here or that everyone does that I just don't like mess with a substance that has the power to do that kind of thing.

My personal view on it is, substance like the one in question change people's preception and state of mind of the things going on around them. And I personally would like to allways be in control of my own actions, mind and out look.

Which is why I choose to stay away from mood altering substances as much as possible.

that's my two cents, and respect anyone else view point on the matter, if they like to have a drink fine by them... I do however get kinda sick of random people on the street/parties/job/etc treating me like im strange, insane, a prude, or that theres something wrong with me for not wanting to get wasted.

:-D

• 1 month later...

When I use to race mtn bikes on the amaetuer circuit my diet actually consisted of beer and pizza and the occassional health drink. But that was when I was in better shape and younger. And was able to do bout 100 miles a week on my bike.

Now that age has caught up to me, I'll have a beer or drink every so often except when I am on call for work.

If I do get plastered its usually at home. If I go out I moderated my drinking so that I stay focus'd on supposed encounters that might arise.