Beer, alcohol and MA

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that you're referring to the comment of dual hangovers. I never said you get drunk off caffeine, but there is a crash after the caffeine leaves your system (similar to a "sugar rush"). Caffeine dehydrates you, same with alcohol, and with alcohol that is what causes the hangover, and that can what could cause the "caffeine hangover".

Of course you realise that is your personal opinion and 90% of adults do actually enjoy and alcoholic drink from time to time.

I understand you don't like it, but to answer your question as to why people would do it, well for most, they actually enjoy it.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I don't have any problem with someone who has a drink every once in a while providing it doesn't negatively affect their performance.

But if someone either drinks too frequently, or, for whatever reason, cannot drink alcohol and maintain optimal performance, then I do not think that person should drink.

But, as many things come down to, it depends on the person, what they believe, and what they choose to do.

• 1 month later...

In continental Europe the general approach to drinking is different many dojos and sports centers have cafeterias that serve beer for after practice and for family whocome along and watches but once again it is in moderation.

My sensei never drinks i used to hide the fact that i drank socially to him when i was younger.

However he told recently he does not drink simply because he does not care for the taste of alchool. And he feels that drinking in moderation is ok of course not in the DOJO.

:brow:

Oh yeah also years ago i went and trained with Kenji Kusano founder of Kenhinkan Shito Ryu. He was one the toughest and demanding senseis i have ever seen. However outside of the dojo he was usually plastered and chain smoking...

I don't drink......... mainly because I have to drive and secondly I drank way to much in my youth and have never fully recovered. The smell of cider makes me ill.

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.

I drink rather more than I should, but not excessively. I'm very much aware that I'll never reach the peak of physical perfection drinking as much as I do (which is about three pints of bitter or a couple of glasses of wine a night, as an average), but as has already been said by wiser people than I, its all about moderation. To answer Zapatista's point about the taste, I never drink anything I don't like- don't touch lager and the only spirits I drink are malt whiskeys. I find alcohol adds to the enjoyment of life, and won't be giving it up any time soon. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with those that suggested that it is up to the individual

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I agree with those that suggested that it is up to the individual

Agreed.

Personally, i made the choice a few months back that i wasnt going to drink at all from that point. And have stuck with it. Not that i was a big drinker to start with, just the occasional few at parties etc. I just didnt really see the point anymore. Its expensive, and has limited or no health benifits. I also limit the amount of parties/clubs etc i attend these days, to avoid the kind of behaviour that occurs at such places.

But like others have said, it depends on the person. Everyone has a choice. There are some who enjoy a drink after work etc and thats fine by me, however i dont do it myself because like some have said, most of it tastes fairly plain, and its not something i want to spend my time doing.

A man's gotta have a good quality beer once in awhile. Man Law.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.