• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fighting question

for sparing and street.

For sparring:

It's always going to be difficult to spar someone who is taller and stronger than you. They have alot of advantages and can score points more easily. I think most of the people here have talked about using angles and getting inside your range. The angles are so important because they will limit the weapons your opponent can use. But if you look at most of the winners of point sparring tourneys you'll notice they tend to be taller than most of their competition. Your best defense will be phenomenal speed and timing.

I also forgot to mention that another thing that makes sparring a taller person difficult is the fact they are probably trained. So they also know what to look out for.

On the Street:

Assuming it's one on one, you can easily beat a larger opponent on the street. Just stick to the self defense you are taught. Don't expect something to work exactly as it does in the academy or dojo. Untrained people often do weird things. You can not, however, hold back. You must defend yourself wholeheartedly. If you do not, you may end up severely injured or even dead.

In multiple opponents, do the best you can. Your chances decrease exponentially with each additional opponent who agresses you.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I would mention: once you get in on a tall person, and start going, DO NOT STOP!! Gaining territory on tall people is hard enough as it is, you don't want to give it up easily. Think of it as aquiring ocean front property. You both want it, but you have it, so keep it.

what do you mean when you say "using angles and getting inside your range"

Ok, say the tall guy throws a side kick. If you back away and block it, you don't gain any ground, and he still has his advantage. The next time he side kicks, you block and sidestep at the same time, at an angle towards your opponent. Now, you have blocked the kick, and gained some ground at the same time. You may even be close enough to start your own assault.

Many people will teach you how to block, but the key to blocking is to stop the technique and gain ground/postition. Otherwise, the blocker just keeps backing up, and will eventually run out of room.

Ok, say the tall guy throws a side kick. If you back away and block it, you don't gain any ground, and he still has his advantage. The next time he side kicks, you block and sidestep at the same time, at an angle towards your opponent. Now, you have blocked the kick, and gained some ground at the same time. You may even be close enough to start your own assault.

Many people will teach you how to block, but the key to blocking is to stop the technique and gain ground/postition. Otherwise, the blocker just keeps backing up, and will eventually run out of room.

bingo. get inside on your opponent, circle around him, making angles that maxmize your chances of hitting him while lessening his. Do not just stay in front of him.

As has been said, grappling is a good idea, to take away the height advantage. Working angles and getting in close is good, too. Taking out the legs, as has been mentioned, is helpful.

When sparring, you have to cut to the side and try to evade the techniques while gaining ground, that way you get into his territory.

All excellent advice. But, I would like to add that if it is a larger and much stronger opponent if you plan on grappling make sure you are a good grappler. Rudimentary grappling skills are not enough against sheer size and power.

Grappling arts like BJJ are great but it takes a lot of practice and hard work to be effective. You just can't train a few weeks and become proficient. When even a skilled stand up fighter goes against a good BJJ practioner, he will most likely be toast.

How do I know this? I just started to cross train and it was an eye opener. :o I'm not too shabby in my standup. My Sweeps, locks and throws are pretty decent. I'm not too bad on the ground but when flat on my back or when in the mount I was a dead man. :dead:

What I'm really saying is that it is important to have a well balance arsenal at your disposal. Neither striking or grappling alone is enough.

Remember a grappler can be knocked out before he goes to the ground, so both are important. :)

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

bingo. get inside on your opponent, circle around him, making angles that maxmize your chances of hitting him while lessening his. Do not just stay in front of him.

Well said.

Chris, learn when watching others spar/fight. Notice the end result of those who follow the above advice & those who don't.

For sparring just like many have already said, get in close. Wait until they kick or throw a punch, avoid it, and step into them effectively jamming them up. Guys will long legs usually also have long arms, which makes them just as difficult to throw strikes (slow) on the inside as it is for them to throw kicks.

I tend to disagree with the immediate thought to take them to the ground though. While shorter, more compact fighters do have some advantages on the ground because of their lower center of gravity, a big guy with any knowledge of fighting on the ground will use leverage against that low center of gravity. Also, someone that is significantly taller than you is going to make your "guard" much less effective because they can still reach your head, if you find yourself on your back.

On the street most fights involve flurries of head punches, sometimes uncontrolled. Most people know this, and are expecting you to swing for their face in a fight. That's why those knee/groin kicks that many have talked about are so effective against a taller opponent, they just aren't expecting someone to open up by taking their legs out from under them, or dislocating their knee.

I would also say to the smaller guy, in a sparring situation to keep his guard up. I find a lot when i am sparring in class that i score a lot of points to the head when i am sparring with a shorter person.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk