• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

equal standards

Dresden

I do not mean to open a can of worms with this post, I am just curious.Do equal standards apply in other dojos out there or does rank at your place spmetimes receive some special justification.Such as "she is pretty good for a girl" or "hes not bad for as old as he is."Sensei and I are friends on a pesonal level outside the dojo and inside I push myself HARD.Some nights though it seems impossible to please him.I know why he picks but sometimes I cant help but think to myself "but look at so and so,what about them?"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some dojos are that way, but I feel only it's only acceptable when a student goes "above and beyond" what's expected of him, not because he's "good enough". For example, we had a 6th Kyu get special permission to attend this year's gashkyu(don't know if I spelled that right) The panel of black belts noticed his skill, participation and dedication during the training and felt he was performing at a brown belt level. They promoted him to 3rd kyu. He still has to fulfill the previous rank requirements and learn all the techniques before he advances again, but he still gets to wear the brown belt.

Your sensei may seem to be nitpicking, but it may be that because you push yourself hard, he sees that you are serious, so he trains you more seriously.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

this kind of justifications are normal, We got 2 brothers training with us, started at the same time, come together and leave together, the younger one (2 years younger) is a natural , the older one is normal but we can't let the better one skip ahead, may be it's wrong but that's the way it works, as for Sensei picking on you, it's a good thing he asks for more since he sees your potential every body may know a kata but they don't performing it in a same level. my sensei says, if an old Okinawan sensei starts correcting you in a seminar, it means you are good enough, for the rest they don't even bother.

A good teacher sees the potential in each individual student and should teach to that potential. Comparing students in general to a standard, i.e. belt level or rank, is one thing; comparing them to each other is another. At times it is difficult for students (and parents!) to see this but it is a must if you want them to be their best.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

All good advice. Also, you mentioned that you and your sensei were friends outside of the dojo. This may be why he pushes you more. One: he knows you can do it and two: he may be trying to make an effort to seperate your friendship inside of the dojo and have only teacher/student relationship during training. Each person trains/ learns/ practices individually and should be treated as such. I would not expect a 70 year old man to perform exactly the same as a 20 year old man, but I would expect them both to give 100% of themselves.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

I do not mean to open a can of worms with this post, I am just curious.Do equal standards apply in other dojos out there or does rank at your place spmetimes receive some special justification.Such as "she is pretty good for a girl" or "hes not bad for as old as he is."Sensei and I are friends on a pesonal level outside the dojo and inside I push myself HARD.Some nights though it seems impossible to please him.I know why he picks but sometimes I cant help but think to myself "but look at so and so,what about them?"

Well, gender should have nothing to do with it. Period.

People with disabilities of sorts are usually given standards that match the capabilities that person has. I would not expect somone who must use a cane to perform a jump kick for example. I would, however, give that person something different to learn. Perhaps cane techniques.

Your sensei is probably harder on you because he/she cares for you more. Sensei wants to make sure that, should you need to use karate, you are effective and decisive. It should be your honor to be picked on a little.

Now think about it from another perspective. Now you are so&so. You see sensei always helping the same student, who also happens to be a friend of the sensei. Now you, so&so, are wondering, "Why doesn't sensei ever help me like that?"

My point is this: Your motivation for talking to your friend about how you are treated in class should not be to loosen the noose on you. Rather, to tighten it on others and ensure their training is as benificial as it can be. That is, if you decide to talk to him/her about it. Honestly, I would not. I feel it would be so&so's responsibility to step up and ask for more nit-picky instruction.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

A good teacher sees the potential in each individual student and should teach to that potential. Comparing students in general to a standard, i.e. belt level or rank, is one thing; comparing them to each other is another. At times it is difficult for students (and parents!) to see this but it is a must if you want them to be their best.

8)

This is very well said. Everyone has different abilities, and a good instructor knows that not all of his/her students are going to be Bruce Lees. It just won't happen. But, they can all train as hard, and put forth the effort. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I guess what you need to remember here is that even instructors are human. While they are not intentionally biassed, you may find that from time to time, they have thoughts just like any other person. It's one thing to try and keep these thoughts down, but keep the subconcious down is another.

Remember one important thing. You know how good you are doing, that's all that matters.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I had a similar incident that i posted on kf, my sensei was picking with me and told me i wasn't strong or powerful enough..just a few days before my 1st kyu grading!

He's just making sure you do your best, he see's your potential, just give 100% everytime and things will be fine. Ignore everyone elses abilities and concentrate on your own.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk