• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ in a real fight

I know tha BJJ is really effective for a real fight, but thats against one person. How would jui jitsu do against multiple attackers. I am not saying 5 but 2 people or 3, then what. Its not like you can take all three down.

But wait you can run away right? Well what if your trapped in, or they have you surrounded? Im just throwing out some random situations that might not ever occur, but what if they did. Would BJJ still be effective as most believe? So im just wondering what you guys think about it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BJJ is not recommended for multiple attackers. This question always bothers me too. What situation would you be in if you were to get involved in a fight with multiple attackers? Why would you even think you could singlehandedly take on 2 or even 3 people?? That is just called a "bad decision". You have to know when a fight is not winnable. A fight with 2-3 people puts the odds in the other's favor.

If you must defend yourself in a situation such as this, and it is unavoidable, I always liked the philosophy my San Soo instructor taught:

Go after the biggest guy and hurt him bad. Punch him in the throat, kick him in the groin, or take him down quickly and hope he hits his head on the pavement. Then, you have evened up the playing field at least. But if you feel that your skills are no match for the people you are up again, beat feet and live to fight another day.

Mixed Martial Artist

To be honest, no art is all that effective against multiple attackers. Groundfighting or standup, it is going to be a chore to deal with more than one attacker, not matter what style you study.

I always liked the philosophy my San Soo instructor taught:

Go after the biggest guy and hurt him bad. Punch him in the throat, kick him in the groin, or take him down quickly and hope he hits his head on the pavement.

In situations where we can't run away this is pretty good advice. One of our training exercises is where multiple opponents (at least 3) have cornered you. Our first attack is aimed at the largest or the most intimidating. Once they realize you're up for a fight and you've taken out their friend they're less likely to come at you. Once you've taken that person out (if all goes well) you take the place of that person, almost exactly where they were stasnding if possible. This lets you maintain a mobile position to help you ensure you aren't surrounded if at all possible.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

All martial arts depend on stupid attackers. If more than one person attack you in an coordinated and tactical manner...you will loose. Period. After 21 years of training in standing arts, and just 2.5 years in BJJ, I think BJJ is every bit as viable as any other and has a more confined plan of attack.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

A lot of people fail to realize that BJJ teaches a lot of stand up submissions and clinches as well, where you can strike from if you are versed in a striking art. Even BJJ tells people not to take a fight to the ground unless conditions dictate it is beneficial. In a multiple attacker situation this isn't prudent.

Mixed Martial Artist

Fighting multi- persons is difficult to win no matter what style you use,but BJJ or a style that fights on the ground is not a good idea.Once your on the ground you may be winning the fight with the guy on the ground but the other guys will be kicking you in the face with their feet.Once on the ground you have no mobility and mobility is what you need most when fighting mult- people.The best thing do do if you can is run away or try to separate the other guys are far aways from each other as possible.

Well basically thats what i was saying in the opening post that it wouldnt be so effective and there was no run option.

Fighting multi- persons is difficult to win no matter what style you use,but BJJ or a style that fights on the ground is not a good idea.Once your on the ground you may be winning the fight with the guy on the ground but the other guys will be kicking you in the face with their feet.Once on the ground you have no mobility and mobility is what you need most when fighting mult- people.The best thing do do if you can is run away or try to separate the other guys are far aways from each other as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

"When the student is ready the master will appear"