• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help! Sticky situation .. no training

Chris, your right. I'm not going back.

Just out of curiosity, why not? I obviously have no idea what was said in your conversations with your instructor, so I am certainly not passing any judgement on the situation.

I think it depends on his attitude. Some instructors/schools really do need their students to pay for classes to stay afloat and might not be able to offer free classes. If your instructor is in that situation and was compassionate, than it might not be as bad as it sounds.

But, I have to agree, if your instructor presented the situation as if he didn't care or was just interested in your money then I would start looking for a new school.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the attitude I expected, put it that way.

I also came from a TSD dojang (my first style). When I was out of work, my instructor let me clean the dojang to pay for lessons. To show my "thanks" to him, I kept doing it even after I got a job.

When this instructor didn't even let me, it was kind of a turn off. I was willing to pay him in anyway, but he said, "I'll see you when you find a job. Good luck." And he even gave me places that were hiring, but nothing came from it (I tried those places). I decided not to go back.

When I know there's instructors out there that are willing to help their students, this was a major blow. I hear of stories all the time (not just mine) that instructors help students in need. He didn't even take my offer. It kinda hurt.

So I'm without martial arts, and I'm bummed at this point. Except training on my own, but I miss the "classroom" or dojang with other folks. Some say "Well, stay to get you BB" or whatever. But it's not about the belt. I just want to train. Alone is ... well, lonely. I just want a decent dojang to train at that I don't get the above .... stuff. And no politics. That's all I ask.

Sorry. I'm just venting at this point. But it is true about how I feel.

Laurie F

• 2 weeks later...

You have been training for 6 years eh? well you can train on your own for a while i'm sure but you should really try to get back in although it sounds like you will if you can. Good look with that. I'd say get some training aids, kick bags, Makawara Boards and stuff to keep your training up you never know when you get back into TKD your class mates may be pleasently surprised that you are better than when you left.

Thanks arran6. Yes, as of this month (25th), it will be six years. And I have a lot of home training stuff. That's what I have been using lately. My man is teaching me my next form (he's a 1st dan, soon-to-be 2nd) koryo, so that will keep me busy for a while. I am also looking at two new schools. One is TKD (WTF) and the other is karate (not sure what style). I am getting excited to start training at a dojang again.

Laurie F

Have fun learning Koryo. I have done it a few times, and it is kind of a fun form. But, it was different than anything I had done, so I liked the change.

WTF TKD might be fun for you, as it will probably give you a route to competition, if that is what you are into. I hope it works out for you, Laurie! :karate:

how about your boy friend dojang,do you have to start from white belt if you go there?

I did train there for 4 years. But it got expensive and the politics in that dojang got out of hand. A lot of people left after I did .. well in a spand of a 6 month period, people started dropping out. Except my man. He's determined to get his 2nd dan. There's just a hand full left there that I started with (well the ones that were there when I started).

bushido, no I don't like the competition part of it. Well, I did compete, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't my favorite part of the WTF.

Laurie F