Help! Sticky situation .. no training

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in tht situation, and still am, if i had to pay to learn, id actually not b training. I just hav a deal with my sensei, if i help train, i get trained! anyways its prolly been said already in this thread, anyways!

Simo

Osu

I agree. I lost my job in my first dojang (TSD), and my instructor let me clean the dojang to pay for lessons (I think I said that already LOL).

Anyways, I have been looking for this dojang near by, but I can't find a number or address. They don't advertise (that could be a good thing in a way). How do I go about finding them? I know they are there, because they did a demo at a local park that I heard about (I didn't go, but heard about it). I even drove around and looked for the dojang, but couldn't find it. They must be in a school or a church or something.

Laurie F

There are a few things I'd do in that situation:

Ask the local martial arts community about the school. A lot of the schools I checked out after I was forcibly seperated from my beloved Ving Tsun I heard about through word of mouth. You could also check the phonebook, or punch 'martial arts' into yahoo! followed by your city and state, and it'll give you a directory.

Teachers have proven to be a great source of knowledge for me. Ask local MA teachers about various schools in the area, or if they know of any students with backgrounds in other MAs. You might get lucky.

Good luck and godspeed!

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

I found a dojang ... Wait. I should say, dojo. I am now doing Shotokan. Yea! Back to the Pyung Ahn forms (or Japanese verion of those). WHOOOHOOO!!!. Sweet. I am so happy. I have a happy glow on my face right now ....

I don't know where they are going to put me, as far as rank, but I don't care. I'm training again :D Belts don't mean nothing anymore to me as long as I'm "kickin."

I actually trained at this dojo 3 years ago, when I quit one dojang before, but I didn't go back (shotokan, that is), because my better half wanted me to go back to his dojang where he trains.

Anyways, I talked to Sensei on the phone and he remembers me from 3 years ago! And I only trained two weeks! So I know it's a good dojo, because I trained there and I really liked it. He invited me back with open arms, and said try us again and have a ball.

It is Shotokan as I said. Very traditional type of training (that's my thing ;) ), and sensei is tuff on technique. My kind of guy ;) I'm so excited to go back. YAY!!!

Laurie F

Well Done Laurie!

*pops open bottle of champagne!* LETS CELEBRATE!!! :lol: :D

Glad to know that it is traditional style of Shotokan... So you will be doing the Pinan Series instead of the Heian Series? Doesn't matter which, but the Pinan series are for the traditional style of Shotokan...

Anyhows! Good luck with your training now... Its nice to hear of people accepting those in difficult circumstances.... Not like some that are just money orientated.....

Good luck!

Shui Tora... :karate:

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

I found a dojang ... Wait. I should say, dojo. I am now doing Shotokan. Yea! Back to the Pyung Ahn forms (or Japanese verion of those). WHOOOHOOO!!!. Sweet. I am so happy. I have a happy glow on my face right now ....

I don't know where they are going to put me, as far as rank, but I don't care. I'm training again :D Belts don't mean nothing anymore to me as long as I'm "kickin."

I actually trained at this dojo 3 years ago, when I quit one dojang before, but I didn't go back (shotokan, that is), because my better half wanted me to go back to his dojang where he trains.

Anyways, I talked to Sensei on the phone and he remembers me from 3 years ago! And I only trained two weeks! So I know it's a good dojo, because I trained there and I really liked it. He invited me back with open arms, and said try us again and have a ball.

It is Shotokan as I said. Very traditional type of training (that's my thing ;) ), and sensei is tuff on technique. My kind of guy ;) I'm so excited to go back. YAY!!!

Still the last to know :cry: ....and shotokan even!!!!

8)

p.s. Professor Mike is happy :wink:

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

You have a great attitude, karatekid. I'm sure you'll have a lot of success with your "new" dojo. Best of luck!

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu