• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why Don't More Martial Artists Train Like Boxers?

Sohan

As a side note, I have learned that training the anaerobic system will have effects on the aerobic system, but training the aerobic system primarily will not effect the anaerobic system all that much.

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sohan, GREAT post. A couple of thoughts:

1. You may not be bodybuilding, but if this is your workout regimen I'd bet you've built a very fit body. This is varsity stuff.

2. I haven't seen the term "fartlek" since I ran cross-country in junior high. Nice! And a great workout, whether you fartlek running or on the elliptical machine.

3. Chopping wood or digging holes in the yard with a digging bar are great, too. Or try shoveling a pile of river rock. As people are rediscovering the benefit of core training, surprise! They are finding manual labor to be a great workout. Last summer I scraped all the paint off the concrete in my 2200 sq ft basement and thought I was going to die.

4. I have a gym in my home with a Parabody 2000 multi-station, benches, dumbbells, elliptical trainer, and a heavy bag. But I don't use it as often as I should. You are right on target about that.

Keep up the great posts. You are wise in the ways of science.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Sohan, GREAT post. A couple of thoughts:

1. You may not be bodybuilding, but if this is your workout regimen I'd bet you've built a very fit body. This is varsity stuff.

2. I haven't seen the term "fartlek" since I ran cross-country in junior high. Nice! And a great workout, whether you fartlek running or on the elliptical machine.

3. Chopping wood or digging holes in the yard with a digging bar are great, too. Or try shoveling a pile of river rock. As people are rediscovering the benefit of core training, surprise! They are finding manual labor to be a great workout. Last summer I scraped all the paint off the concrete in my 2200 sq ft basement and thought I was going to die.

4. I have a gym in my home with a Parabody 2000 multi-station, benches, dumbbells, elliptical trainer, and a heavy bag. But I don't use it as often as I should. You are right on target about that.

Keep up the great posts. You are wise in the ways of science.

Thanks for the props. I just pay attention to what people say who know a lot more than I do. :)

BTW, I would be in heaven with a 2200 sf basement at my disposal....

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I still own the home but had to move. The basement's pretty nice, all finished and about half the square footage of the house. I had to redo the entire floor after some water seepage on the slab in the great PACNORWEST rain forest. I built a 12x20 gym as part of the floor plan and I really like it. I even put two 6x4 ft sheets of mirror glass on one wall, which is great for kata or mirror boxing. Like you said, it was cheaper to do a gym at home than buy a gym membership fee and certainly easier to use.

In the house I am renting now in VA, I had to fashion one out of a small unfinished bedroom in the basement. It works but is kind of spooky. Good lighting and good music help.

Great post, Sohan! I bet if a more Karateka trained like that, we'd have a lot more Andy Hugs.

(I'm sure you know who he is...but if you don't):

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2278829415239643675

I'm quite familiar with Andy Hug. His death was a shock, and a great loss to the MA community. He certainly was one tough character, yet with tremendous dignity, courage, and intelligence.

RIP Andy. :(

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I believe I have read this topic before, but it was interesting enough to read it once more. I have two questions for you.

1. Where did you buy the sledge hammer? I would love to do that, since I think it would be a great workout in a little time, but don't know where to buy it.

You gave a great advice on the tire, so when I have found myself a hammer, I will try and get on right away.

2. How did you make or where did you buy the 10kg vest? Since I am training pullups a lot lately, I would like to be able to make them a little bit harder once I am able to do 10 proper pullups. Also, I think a vest would help during pushups.

Thanks in advance :)

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt

You can buy a sledgehammer at any home improvement store and most hardware stores.

Andy Hug looks pretty amazing in that video. I wish I could get my legs that high. How did he die, and at what age?

Thanks Baronbvp :)

Still my question remains where to get a 20lbs weighted shirt? Maby it's easyest just using a belt and buy some weight for that huh?

Tom

Train harder!

Currently: 7th kyu, yellow belt