• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Remembering Your Training

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but i'll say what I have to, please comment. While in class today, a 5th Kyu told me he was beaten up in a fight yesterday, I asked him what happened, he said he just forgot all of his training and the fear got to him. Me being a 2nd Kyu and in a few fights, I didn't know how he did that. In a fight I can always remember my training and take control, why couldn't he? He only told me because we're friends and he didn't want to be embarassed in front of the dojo.

Do you guys think it was because i'm a higher rank? Is there a method to remember your training? I'm in Kyokushin and if anyone else is you know training can be tough and rigorous..I don't see how he'd forget his training. I meditate frequently, I don't think he does, could that be it?? Just looking for answers/opinons.

A New Age Dawns

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it has anything to do with meditation. It may just be his mentality. Some people are not fighters, and when the situation arises, they freeze up. It is very hard to train for this specific feeling in the dojo, as a controlled training environment. People who are used to being in fights know the feeling, and can handle it better. I think it comes down to personality and mentality. It could also have to do with the way he trains, and his mindset during his training sessions as well.

i agree with Bushido_man96

Some people are just not fighters, maybe now that he's been in one he knows what his body will do and maybe can work on his reaction. Maybe some more serious sparring sessions?

There is no teacher but the enemy.

I agree, also. I'm not a fighter either, and I used to freeze up (before MA). So I can see where he's coming from. If he has never been in a fight in his life, and this was the first time, that could be a shock to the system (body). I would say it's normal. I was lucky when I had to defend myself for the first time. I don't know how in the heck I didn't freeze up. Totally weird. But I came out without a scratch (thank goodness).

Laurie F

Unfortuatly i am the same. I suffer with a panic dissorder so when i am put in serious confrontations (outside the dojo), i do tend to freeze up, my heart races and i feel i may pass out. I am 1st kyu but this doesn't mean i am no good at my karate.

Bushido man hit the nail on the head, i think it is defo mentality, confidence ect...i am getting better with every training session and my fighting is improving. I'm sure this will improve with your friend to given time.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but i'll say what I have to, please comment. While in class today, a 5th Kyu told me he was beaten up in a fight yesterday, I asked him what happened, he said he just forgot all of his training and the fear got to him. Me being a 2nd Kyu and in a few fights, I didn't know how he did that. In a fight I can always remember my training and take control, why couldn't he? He only told me because we're friends and he didn't want to be embarassed in front of the dojo.

Do you guys think it was because i'm a higher rank? Is there a method to remember your training? I'm in Kyokushin and if anyone else is you know training can be tough and rigorous..I don't see how he'd forget his training. I meditate frequently, I don't think he does, could that be it?? Just looking for answers/opinons.

real simple answer... adrenaline dump. Everyone likes to think of adrenaline as this super substance that gives you super human strength and allows you to fight forever. In reality, it does not. While it will make you stronger, that is very temporary. adrenaline rush lasts for a few seconds (less than 120), then your body starts to tire at a faster rate. This is also partially responsible for the "fight or flight" syndrome, as well as tunnel vision. When you don't have a lot of fighting experience, you will gain tunnel vision and your body may freeze up - because you are not trained to react in such a situation. Some people may regain control of themselves during the fight - if it lasts long enough. often times, they don't.

As for forgetting, that is another side effect. With adrenaline flowing, the brain tends to forget ANYTHING not ingrained in your memory after the heart rate increases beyond a certain point. Think back to your fights - you likely didn't use anything beyond the basics, which are what should be ingrained into you. People without any training resort to what their instinct is - the haymakers and flailing punches that you see. He forgot his training because it wasn't ingrained into him properly. That combinedwith inexpeirenced led to him getting beat up. This is why I advocate that ALL MA enter at least one full contact competition.

Unfortuatly i am the same. I suffer with a panic dissorder so when i am put in serious confrontations (outside the dojo), i do tend to freeze up, my heart races and i feel i may pass out. I am 1st kyu but this doesn't mean i am no good at my karate.

Bushido man hit the nail on the head, i think it is defo mentality, confidence ect...i am getting better with every training session and my fighting is improving. I'm sure this will improve with your friend to given time.

it doesn't mean that your karate is no good. It means that you are lacking in fighting experience. consequently, you can't properly deal with the stresses of an altercation.

Hi Ace,

All people are different and respond differently under pressure. There is no magic bullet that will instantly make one calm and collected under pressure. It is not only in a fight scenario. It also happens during emergencies and during accidents. There is no shame or failure involved.

The way to minimize the freezing up and the panicking is training and drilling the particular scenarios needed to understand and react appropriately in the case of a real situation.

Police, firefighters and emergency responders drill on a regular basis so they can react to a situation in a quickly and efficiently as possible.

If you apply the same concept to your self defense techniques and sparring it will greatly enhance your reactions in a real situation.

How? ........

Work on no mind or circle drills. One guy in the middle the rest on the outside and randomly attack various attacks unannounced. Go hard, make it as real as possible without killing your partners.

Make sure you spar someone who is much better than you and go hard. They will make you better and they will learn control in the process.

Basically what I'm babbling about is that you have to desensitize youself to an extent and become used to reacting automatically and not give yourself a chance to think (freeze up).

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Experience, confidence, adrenaline, they are all factors. The fight-or-flight response is going to govern your physiological response here though. If he perceived a major threat that he felt he couldn't over come - like say 3 guys instead of 1 guy - he might have physiologically decided flight. So his brain started to get his adrenaline pumping to prep for running away. Instead he stood his ground or couldn't run away. Then personal experience comes into play. If he's been in fights before he can adapt and start defending himself.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu