• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

non-martial workouts

I dont think this has been done, but here goes..

Do any of you guys practice other forms of fitness to enhance your skills?

For example:Yoga, Aerobics, or any exercises that help you up your game?

I ask because I started to do Pilates with my fiance and before I started I kinda scoffed at it, believing it was less difficult than it looks. needless to say I was humbled after only a 30 min workout which I was sweating pretty heavy after :lol:

Anyway, since then Ive seen more definition in my midsection and I have seen an increase in flexibility and now I recommend to alot of less limber MA to try it out. Ive only been doing it for a month and a half. ANybody have a similar experience? or something to suggests for this community?

Just thought I'd start up something new! :karate:

There is no teacher but the enemy.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are actually sort of "designated" types of training equipment for martial arts.

Tsubo (Clay pots)

Tetsu geta (Iron geta clogs)

chi-ishi and

ishi zashi are the ones that I know of.

Here's one site I found: https://www.bushifitness.com/equipment.htm

those aren't really "designeated" they are just things that have been used over time. There are chinese variants of those.

- filling the clay pots with water.

- chi ishi is like shuai chiao's rock pole. shuai chiao also uses a double ended rock pole.

- ishi sashi are equivalent to the chinese stone padlocks.

- the makiwara's equivalent is iron palm

in addition, there are iron rings, heavy weapons training, etc. the list goes on.

great stuff, I also lift wieghts, I also use wrist and ankle weights when I do my forms or shadowbox.

I must confess, I started this partly because I wanted some new ideas :wink: and im betting someone will get some ideas themselves

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Not me. I just snowboard in the winter. It is a good workout, though. Good cardio hiking back up a snowy mountian .... sorry folks, that didn't help.

Anyways, I was thinking about doing yoga. What do you guys think for someone with a bum hip and knee?

Laurie F

I've been doing yoga alongside my karate for a few years now. The two activities greatly compliment each other. Yoga has not only made me more flexible, but has helped me relax my muscles, breathe better and has helped my body alignment, which has vastly improved my karate technique. I have also recently begun incorporating pilates into the mix. Many of the pilates principles are the same as what I am taught in karate for my technique. It's a great core workout, and the core is crucial for a martial artist.

"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world"

-Dave Barry