• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kata series-JKA shotokan

PlasmaShock

ok so for shotokan, usually you have to do the five heian katas for the first 5 kyus. then tekki shodan for second purple and bassai dai for 1st brown. but what about tekki nidan, sandan, and bassai sho? what levels do you have to do them for? i think i heard my sensei saying that in my dojo, you have to do tekki nidan or sandan, or bassai sho for the other brown levels. what do you guys have to do?

Edited by PlasmaShock

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White: Tekiyoko Shodan - Sandan

Orange: Heian Shodan

Yellow: Heian Nidan

Blue: Heian Sandan

Green: Heian Yondan

Purple: Heian Godan

Brown: Jion/ Bassai Dai

Black: Tekki Shodan

Nidan: Kwanku Dai/ Empi

Sandan: Unsu/ Nijushiho/ Tekki Nidan

Yondan: Seiunshin/ Tekki Sandan

Does this help?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

To the best of my knowledge:

White, orange, yellow, blue and green learn kata Taikiyoku 1-5, one at each belt level.

Purple, seishan. Brown: pasai. Shodan: Nihanchi 1-3.

Past that, I'm not quite sure. I think then it goes seisan and shinto. Nidan or sandan learn kusanku.

i meant the JKA shotokan style. in my dojo it goes:

white: heian shodan

yellow: heian nidan

orange: heian sandan

green: heian yondan

purple: heian godan

2nd purple: tekki shodan

1st brown: bassai dai.

if any of you guys have a system like this or the jka, please tell me what you have to do for the other brown belt levels or if you have to do the the other tekkis.

Once you get to brown belt, all the katas above that level can be used.

Bassai Dai is very common for brown belts all the way up to Shodan.

Empi, Gankaku, Jion, Jutte, are all also common.

Once you get to 1st Kyu/Shodan rank you'll start having to do two katas..one of your choice and one of their choice.

To be honest, I'm a shodan and I'd have to look up Tekki Nidan and Sandan to do them properly. Never learned them that fully that I could do them in a grading.

I come to you with only karate.

My hands are empty, but I fear no man.

right now im at 4th kyu so im on tekki shodan. i already know bassai dai, bassai sho, empi, a bit of kanku dai and parts of other black belt katas. for my test i have to do tekki shodan. then i have to do bassai dai for my test after tekki shodan. i could ask my sensei for more details and stuff.

right now im at 4th kyu so im on tekki shodan. i already know bassai dai, bassai sho, empi, a bit of kanku dai and parts of other black belt katas. for my test i have to do tekki shodan. then i have to do bassai dai for my test after tekki shodan. i could ask my sensei for more details and stuff.

My dojo is affiliated with the JKA. The other two Tekkis are part of the syllabus for Nidan and Sandan. Some dojos don't bother teaching you Tekki Nidan & Sandan until Shodan level though. When you get to 3rd Kyu you have to learn the rest of th 15, so hold off Bassai Sho for a little while.

For now you should concentrate on Kanku Dai (especially), Empi, Jion, Gankaku and Jitte. The rest will come with Shodan.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We also have to do bassai-dai for first brown belt. I'm 1st kyu now and i have to know kanku-dai, jion, empi, and hangetsu. Out of them the only one i dont know is empi. I haven't even attempted any other tekki's yet accept for tekki shodan.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

if i had to choose between kanku dai and enpi i would choose enpi. the only thing is the jump. i can do it but i cant get my legs tucked together properly. what happens is one leg tucks then when the other leg comes up, the other one drops to the ground. when i fully learn kanku dai, i would have to decide on which one i would choose. kanku dai is probably the most important one because all the the heian katas were developed from kanku dai.