• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata and it's importance in the art of karate

Dracula

Some people think of kata as useless, others as a spiritual exercise. I think kata is at the essence of the traditional art and though someone may prefer kumite, kata is equally important cause it keeps balance, you cannot have one without the other.

"You must have emotional content" Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Some people think of kata as useless, others as a spiritual exercise. I think kata is at the essence of the traditional art and though someone may prefer kumite, kata is equally important cause it keeps balance, you cannot have one without the other.

I completely agree with you. Kata i find to be important, balance ect.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

I think that forms practice is a very important tool in the study of martial arts. There are many good things that come out of forms practice. However, that does not mean that those styles that do not rely on kata training are lacking in their style. Each has its own way of training, and each has something to offer.

I love practicing my TKD froms, and I feel that they are very important to the art of TKD, if they are practiced for the right reasons, and are analyzed in order to find the applications therein.

i think kata is the best part of karate. i always feel relaxed after practicing them, it is an excelent form of exercise and works the mind too. i think team kata looks really cool too :D

*TheUndecided*

~Chojinkai Kid~

It was once said with kata you do not have karate. I completely agree!! Before I started training in the Shorin Ryu dojo I had not had any exposure to kata all self defense termed "ju jitsu" it was not really that in depth and the karate side was all hand strikes and kicks. Kata changed everything for me and truly has been a great teacher.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

katas are what set karate apart from kickboxing and muay thai. katas are ways of practising kihon, imaginative kumite, and perfecting speed, power, body transition and dynamics. with out kata, karate would just be a sport. it also annoys me when people ask if they can skip kata and go strait to sparring or kumite.

Kata is great for working basics and techniques. However, to really get to the meat of it, you need to break down and practice sections with partners to apply it. Forms practice and partner practice with applications should go hand in hand.

Kata is great for working basics and techniques. However, to really get to the meat of it, you need to break down and practice sections with partners to apply it. Forms practice and partner practice with applications should go hand in hand.

I agree completely. Kata is my favorite part of Karate practice. As well as Bunkai, and free sparring.

I agree completely. Kata is my favorite part of Karate practice. As well as Bunkai, and free sparring.

I feel that all of these aspects of training offer equally important lessons in training.