• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Black belt exams

Abraham_lincoln

The Black Belt tests that I run are about 8 hours long,9 if you count the car ride to the second testing site.

keep in mind they have to pass with at least a 95

site 1:

1. 30 minutes of straight exercise{push up,sit ups etc.}

2. 30 minutes of running.

3. 1 hour of walking the mountian{they hold each of the 4 wide stances for about 15 minutes with weights}

4. Every technique learned 25 times each side{takes an Hour}

5. All Kata{empty handed and weapon}30 minutes

6. Self defense another 30 minutes.

now we take them to site 2,we offer them something to eat,we normally pick the most greese loaded thing on the menu,the testers will eat in the van on the ride to site two,ok put you self in the place of the poor brown belts that are testing,the have been pushed to what they think are their limits so far and now they have to smell ribs or bbq in a hot van with a buch of sweaty guys,if they eat they get sick if they dont eat they try not to get sick.please keep in mind we do this with good reason.the second four hours are physically draining,and by the time they get ready for kumite they are sick to their stomach,they have tunnel vision and they dont want to be there.

so at this point they are testing under the worst conditions where as in a street situation75% of the time you arn't going to be at 100%

ok now for site 2:

1. 45 minutes of exercise

2. 30 minutes breaking{red oak is our black belt board 1x12x10}

3. 45 minutes of Sanchin kata reveiw the Isshin Ryu version and Sanchin Ichi And Sanchin Ni of Goju Ryu, the last 5 minutes of the reveiw the black belts are going around body checking the brown belts.

4. 30 minutes of Ground fighting and throwing

5. 1 hour and 30 minutes of kumite{every 5 minutes i give the brown belts a fresh black belt,i rotate the black belts out,so when your fighting you have to keep fighting rested/water'd black belts.

thats the test its hard and for good reason

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow compared to our dan gradings you guys go through some greulling stuff. I'm not saying ours are easy but we don't have to go through half the stuff you guys do.

Normally what happens with ours is a two hour black and brown belt course. This gives the brown belts that are taking their gradings can have a good warm-up. Then when that two hours is over the grading begins.

Lots of basics

the kicks, mea-geri, keagi, mawashi-geri, ushiro-geri, uraken gyka-tsuki

some heian kata's

bassia-dai

Lots of combinations from other grades

three kicks from one leg, front kick, side thrust kick, and back kick. Then the same on the other leg.

fighting (you must be able to defend well, as well as score a point).

There is probably loads more than this but i can't think of them at the mo and i can't find my grading syllabus :D This probably seems lame to you guys but it's none stop and lasts around an hour.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

The Black Belt tests that I run are about 8 hours long,9 if you count the car ride to the second testing site.

site 1:

3. 1 hour of walking the mountian{they hold each of the 4 wide stances for about 15 minutes with weights}

now we take them to site 2,we offer them something to eat,we normally pick the most greese loaded thing on the menu,the testers will eat in the van on the ride to site two,ok put you self in the place of the poor brown belts that are testing,the have been pushed to what they think are their limits so far and now they have to smell ribs or bbq in a hot van with a buch of sweaty guys,if they eat they get sick if they dont eat they try not to get sick.please keep in mind we do this with good reason.the second four hours are physically draining,and by the time they get ready for kumite they are sick to their stomach,they have tunnel vision and they dont want to be there.

so at this point they are testing under the worst conditions where as in a street situation75% of the time you arn't going to be at 100%

ok now for site 2:

3. 45 minutes of Sanchin kata reveiw the Isshin Ryu version and Sanchin Ichi And Sanchin Ni of Goju Ryu, the last 5 minutes of the reveiw the black belts are going around body checking the brown belts.

5. 1 hour and 30 minutes of kumite{every 5 minutes i give the brown belts a fresh black belt,i rotate the black belts out,so when your fighting you have to keep fighting rested/water'd black belts.

What's the good reason?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

site 1:

ok now for site 2:

Wow. That is quite a bit. Have you ever had someone collapse on you, and had to take them to the hospital?

Warm ups (30 minutes worth)

50 Kihon Waza (Blocks, Strikes adn Kicks) shown 25 times each on each side (1 hours worth)

minimum 200 Self Defense Techniques done from various attacks. Really the canidate must have 250 down real good. Includes 18 nage waza (throwing techniques) 2 - 3 hours worth)

Ukemi Waza (Rolls, Front, Side and Back Falls) (30 minutes)

11 Empty Hand Kata (performed non stop) 1 Weapons Kata (1 - 1 1/2 hours)

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

site 1:

ok now for site 2:

What's the good reason?

Hi the "with good reason" I dont give out black belts,ok if you've learned what we have taught you, there should be no reason you cant pass this test,A black belt exam is a general reveiw of almost everything physical and mental learned and gained durring your 4 to 6 year stint in my Dojo.This test makes for some tuff tuff black belts and to most people shockingly enough my "Nuggets" that pass are not the stongest people in the room normally the Nuggets that make the grade are the ones who pace themselves big and small body build wise,and i do have an age limit to the test 15 and up for lady Nuggets,and 16 and up for male Nuggets,

everyone under the age limit can test for a jr Black belt-cause blue kids get life gaurds fired.

site 1:

ok now for site 2:

Wow. That is quite a bit. Have you ever had someone collapse on you, and had to take them to the hospital?

Hi to answer your question,i have never had anyone collapse on me,or had to take any of my Nuggets to the ER,my Nuggets are ready for the test when its their time,to get the designation as Nugget,you have to know most everything {like 98% of my syllabus by heart}you have to be physically ready{considering on a normal night durring PT my students do every thing in 50s,{50 push ups,50 sit ups,etc}and the Nugget has to be well conditioned"born again hard" as quoted from Full Metal Jacket.

i like the sound of oldskoolkarateka's grading.

my nidan grading was 5 hours long on friday night with all syllabus material being worked. we would also do 100 push ups and sit ups hourly.

all this took 5 hours and would finish around 11pm, we would go home and eat, strech, and relax.

then we would start again on saturday at 10am until anywhere from 4pm to 6pm depending on how well the grading was going. sat would involve a quick run thru of fri material, this would take 1 hour.

then we had self defence routines eg. 2on1 attacks, grab defences, locks and chocks. then when we are all tired and beat up, we would do 30 rounds of sparring each round is 2 mins with 30sec rest. sparring would change from no contact to full contact each round and would vary from a boxing, kick boxing and martial arts style of sparring.

great memories...

'The key to immortality is to live a life worth remembering'

i like the sound of oldskoolkarateka's grading.

my nidan grading was 5 hours long on friday night with all syllabus material being worked. we would also do 100 push ups and sit ups hourly.

all this took 5 hours and would finish around 11pm, we would go home and eat, strech, and relax.

then we would start again on saturday at 10am until anywhere from 4pm to 6pm depending on how well the grading was going. sat would involve a quick run thru of fri material, this would take 1 hour.

then we had self defence routines eg. 2on1 attacks, grab defences, locks and chocks. then when we are all tired and beat up, we would do 30 rounds of sparring each round is 2 mins with 30sec rest. sparring would change from no contact to full contact each round and would vary from a boxing, kick boxing and martial arts style of sparring.

great memories...

Thank you for the props.My Grading is very simular to how I've been Graded over the years,with the execption of the car ride and ground fighting,but it makes for tougher Karate Shodans,in recent years there have been claims that Karate is a weak art,this is due to many different reasons like:

1. sloppy Karate ka fighting in UFC until guys like st. Peirre have started popping in.

2. low grading standards in most American Dojo

3. way to many Karate-ka making Tap point fights the only fights they train for.

4. way too many Karate ka fad hopping

5. Karate ka not learning their art from historical,mental and spiritaul stand points,

and these are primary reasons why I grade as my Sensei before me

site 1:

ok now for site 2:

I love to re-test in your dojo.