• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey everyone

in my school there is a judo club. i am doin JKD now and my school teaches more striking than ground fighting, joint manipulations, throws, holds and things like that. i was wondering if you guys thought it would be good to cross train in judo and JKD. i know that it is never really a bad thing to learn another art, but if i do this judo club, i will have to spend less time at my JKD school. also, i know that judo is mostly a sport so i was wondering if it had many realistic self defense techniques and grappling like jiu jutsu and hapkido.

thanx 4 the info

french fri25

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the stuff you do in judo is useful. Maybe not as useful as Jujitsu or other arts, but then again, I've never tried them. I think the most useful thing I got out of judo is how to deal with people who try to grapple and to not be afraid of getting in close. If you're serious about learning grappeling, it may not be the best bet, but since school MA classes are considerably cheaper than most places, it's a good compromise, especially if you just want a passing familiarity with it..

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I would say go for it. I have been wanting to learn a ground based style for a while. It will not hurt you, it can only help, if it is a good club.

• 3 months later...

If you're looking for more ground work then I'd say to go for it. Even if you only train there for 6 months or a year it wil give you a familiarity with it and should help improve your MA training.

Good luck!

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 1 month later...
hey everyone

in my school there is a judo club. i am doin JKD now and my school teaches more striking than ground fighting, joint manipulations, throws, holds and things like that. i was wondering if you guys thought it would be good to cross train in judo and JKD. i know that it is never really a bad thing to learn another art, but if i do this judo club, i will have to spend less time at my JKD school. also, i know that judo is mostly a sport so i was wondering if it had many realistic self defense techniques and grappling like jiu jutsu and hapkido.

thanx 4 the info

french fri25

Cross training with complimenting styles is great (i.e. JKD primarily teaches striking, so a grappling style will compliment well). I would say the minimum training per week for any style is twice a week for minimal results, so gauge that on how often you attend classes at these schools.

As far as judo being mostly a sport and wondering if it has realistic self defense techniques, realise that the majority of the most effective martial arts are regarded as "sports."

As far as judo being mostly a sport and wondering if it has realistic self defense techniques, realise that the majority of the most effective martial arts are regarded as "sports."

This is true. MMA is considered sport, but you can't argue with its effectiveness. Judo should benefit you well.

• 4 months later...

i.e. JKD primarily teaches striking, so a grappling style will compliment well).

Depends on what do you understand as JKD..Bruce said ´´ be like water´´..... He may haven´t been the best grappler , but he took wrestling clases . JKD teaches to learn the most you can , and grappling is a part of JKD becasuse it doesnt have limits.

JKD is what you want to JKD to be , its formless.

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• 3 weeks later...

I agree 100%with rainbow warrior. What made Bruce Lee so great was that he wasn't afraid to combine any styles together. His goal was to in fact do this, to have a flawless game, so that his fighting system incorporated pieces of all other fighting systems.

• 2 months later...

They should compliment very well.

When a person starts getting hit, they tend to respond in one of three ways.

1. Get knocked out/ down

2. Run away/ back off

3. Rush in a grab

The third situation is the one you want to constantly think about when training Judo. Once you have a good feel for the throws, try to start training the ones that lace well with your strikes.

For example:

Jab, cross (the guy comes in to grab), turn and perform uchi matta (inner thigh throw).

Besides that, isn't part of JKD philosophy about using anything that works for you?

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."