• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

maintaining intensity

Dresden

Saturday I tested for my 5th kyu.When Sensei went over my test sheet with me he said the first half was excellent,My basics and walking exercises were right on.I tested with another student who was going for 7th kyu.When we went through one on one sets I had to slow down a notch because my classmate is slower and much less intense.I like him and am not going to blaze him just to make myself look good,what to do?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You can still blast your techniques, but you will have to watch how close you come to making contact, if that is what you mean. You defenitely don't want to work down to someone else's level, if they are not up to par with you.

I see you are new, so welcome to the forums! I also see that you are from Kansas! I am from Hays. Glad to see another Kansan here!

What is your style and school?

The answer is simple.... wait longer.

When they attack, wait and wait and wait until you absoloutly have to move, then move at full speed. This ensures you are moving at full intensity and as far as effectiveness is concerned, ensure they are at the point of no return when you block, therefore ensuring it will work.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Your instructor didn't comment on that part? I am sure he noticed that you were obliging the other student, but for next time - take the great advice already given here and congratulations on your rank.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.