• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

seminars

PlasmaShock

my dojo had a self defence seminar with an excellent sensei. i forget his name but he was good. i love seminars. in one, we learned a kata from a different style. it was interesting to learn. i think it was called seisan. i forget what style of karate it was but it seemed like a close range style.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Seisan is a kata from Shorin-Ryu Karate. This kata is also taught as the first kata in Isshin-Ryu Karate, which partly comes from Shorin-Ryu and Goju-Ryu.

Correct.

We sometimes have seminars. Most of the time, it's an arnis seminar of some sort. On occasion, we have a seminar like what you described, about learning kata from different styles. Ironically, we usually do at least a bit of the things we learned at the seminar in class, sort of defeating the point of having a seminar in the first place.

We have quite a few training seminars throughout the year for out students. Usually focused on either 1 or 2 katas or on kumite, we also do self defence seminars in plain clothes which is a lot of fun.

And on ocassion we get instructors from other organisations to teach a seminar for us as it always helps to have another insight as to how to do things.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

One of the best places to find seminars is in your local martial arts magazine. Blitz is published over there isn't it? Usually there's a calendar with all the events on. That's a good place to start and then getting onto people's mailing lists after attending their seminars.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate