• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The True Martial Artist

Many people may have asked, "what is a ture martial artist?" Well, here are some points of a good martial artist.

-Trains to the best of his/her abilities and tries their hardest

-Shows respect and discipline towards themself and others

-Does not think his/her style is better than another

-Enjoys training in the martial arts

-Helps others who are in need

-Isn't cocky or arrogant about their martial art

There are many characteristics of a good martial artist. Please add on if you'd like to :) .

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice post, PlasmaShock.

Here's one: Sees the inherent potential in others, and has the patience to work and help them expose it to others.

Is more concerned about the personal progress of his/her students than the growth of his/her school.

Will always take the honourable way over the easy way.

Is humble enough to realise that every student is his teacher.

Is respectful enough to realise that each of his teachers still have something to offer.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Many people may have asked, "what is a ture martial artist?" Well, here are some points of a good martial artist.

There are many characteristics of a good martial artist. Please add on if you'd like to :) .

The catch about those that I've italicized is that they have nothing to do with improving your fighting skill. To me, a true martial artist is someone who is refined in the area of fighting and bases their approach to it based on experience and logic- being a nice guy or helping others makes you a nice guy- it doesnt make you a martial artist. I firmly believe that if you dont like those who are arrogant or have a bullying personality, learn how to fight better than they do.

The catch about those that I've italicized is that they have nothing to do with improving your fighting skill. To me, a true martial artist is someone who is refined in the area of fighting and bases their approach to it based on experience and logic- being a nice guy or helping others makes you a nice guy- it doesnt make you a martial artist. I firmly believe that if you dont like those who are arrogant or have a bullying personality, learn how to fight better than they do.

I would respectfully disagree. I think being a good person is absolutely essential to being a true martial artist. Otherwise you are just a good fighter, but not a martial artst. I think ot all goes back to the philosophical roots of the arts.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

I agree being a honorable / good person is essential. I personally am saddened by the people that think martial arts are only about fighting. There is so much more to it. Remember the Okinawans are very peaceful people they fought to save their lives, that is how karate came to be.

Brandon Fisher

Seijitsu Shin Do

i agree. a true martial artist is a skilled and disciplined fighter, anything else just makes you a better person. kind of like the bad guys in martial arts movies; they have bad guy traits but they're still martial artists :)

of course, it depends on what martial art we're talking about. for karate, respect, etiquette, selflessness etc are part of the art and a true karateka would posess these qualities. in boxing, arrogance is almost a necessity from what i have seen.

i'd say a true (ideal might be a better word) martial artist has no fear of death or injury, and is able to commit fully to the moment with a calm and clear mind.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I agree being a honorable / good person is essential. I personally am saddened by the people that think martial arts are only about fighting. There is so much more to it. Remember the Okinawans are very peaceful people they fought to save their lives, that is how karate came to be.

Well said Brandon, i agree with you totally!....And everything else on this thread. There is nothing worse than a Martial artist with no respect.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk