eat_my_fudge

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a bit off topic here, but I don't think that a certain amount of pushups should have anything to do with rank. I can see placing emphasis on fitness, but that seems excessive...

I agree with you. I kind of feel the same way about those who use running a certain distance as well.

I agree too, but instructor always right so ask no questions :D

I think that the instructor is always right thing is stupid because its not true, just cause someone ones good at martial arts doesnt mean theyre perfect :evil:

A somewhat crude way of putting it, but I actually agree with your sentiment.

IMO the instructor is NOT always right. I've found that the "don't question the instructor" philosophy can be harmful to the growth of the martial artist because it stifles innovation and creativity.

HOWEVER....

At white and green belt level one needs to question less and follow more, because a martial artist at that level is what he is: a beginner. Without the so-called "empty cup" one may find himself rejecting valid training simply because he doesn't understand it. But at brown belt level (and better at black belt--depends on the system and time spent training) we have a better foundation in our art, which gives us more perspective for questioning methodologies.

With respect,

Sohan

I do agree with you there about a beginner belt should listen to his instructor.

I also find push-ups hard ... my biology seems to mean I find endurance easy to build but strength hard to build. But, by checking I have correct form and keeping at it two or three times a week, 35 push-ups in a row wasn't hard to build up to. (I also do dumb-bell presses once a week, which may help).

From the accepted wisdom on training, there is limited point in doing a set of more than 20 push-ups though. I've heard martial artists say that the real point in doing high numbers of push-ups is as a test of mental endurance rather than physical.

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Like the others have said, start on your knees, bum down and back straight. It takes a lot of the weight off your arms. We do a lot of push ups in our classes and almost always do them all on our knees this way. It also takes the pressure off the lower back which is handy for women who are training.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

You can also do push-ups with your hands on the wall, and you feet out behind you, with your body at an angle. Vary the angle to increase the difficulty. Coffee tables, chairs, and things like this work well, too.

On Monday my instructor had us doing push ups in an unusual but rather effective way. 3 people, 1 in the middle the other 2 in front and behind him/her. The person in the middle stays stiff and straight and falls back. The person behind catches them and pushes them the opposite direction to his partner. Continue back and forth for however long and then change roles. I think we did about a minute or 2 per person. My arms really ached the next day! It was great! Mind you, I AM a bit masochistic when it comes to that stuff.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

On Monday my instructor had us doing push ups in an unusual but rather effective way. 3 people, 1 in the middle the other 2 in front and behind him/her. The person in the middle stays stiff and straight and falls back. The person behind catches them and pushes them the opposite direction to his partner. Continue back and forth for however long and then change roles. I think we did about a minute or 2 per person. My arms really ached the next day! It was great! Mind you, I AM a bit masochistic when it comes to that stuff.

Very interesting. I may have to try it sometime.

Here is a good one. You grab a partner, and you both get into pushup position, facing each other. Pick a number, like 5. Then, one person begins, doing 5 pushups, while the other waits in the up position. When done, the other person does 5 while the other waits. Then the other goes again, doing 4. You keep this going, alternating and waiting, all the way down to 1, and then you go back up to 5. It is a great workout, and a good way to push each other.