• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

gradings!

al.karate

Like all the others said, practice is the key.

I sometimes slow down my moves at the start of my workout, to get the feel of doing them the right way, and then after that, I speed up to where I am moving at full speed and full power.

ok thanks!!!!!!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of practice like everyone says, but also slow it down and break out each move. Make sure you've got each technique completed and have performed it correctly before you move to the next one in the sequence. Do it enough and speed will follow.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I hate to admit it, but I'm a big fan of the Karate Kid series. As he says in KKII, if nothing is going right, return to basics.

Start with breathing. Then work on each technique slowly. Then build them into combos. Then make them effective. One step at a time.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

I had the same problem with a couple of the kicking combinations for 3rd kyu. I practised and practised and practised without seeming to make consistent improvement. Sometimes the techniques would come out really well, other times not.

What worked for me in the end was to consciously remind myself to relax when practising the techniques, so that I built up both a visualisation and a muscle memory of performing them relaxed. That helped me not to tense up when I eventually did the grading, and it made a big difference.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

This is all good advice. All I'd have to add would be to practice very slowly at first. Let the speed happen later, just focus on getting the movements down.

If you're a fan of nascar & racing, you see how fast those pit crews work to change a tire, fuel the car, etc? Well they don't get that fast practicing real quick. They move very...very...painfully slowly. The speed comes along naturally.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I hate to admit it, but I'm a big fan of the Karate Kid series. As he says in KKII, if nothing is going right, return to basics.

Start with breathing. Then work on each technique slowly. Then build them into combos. Then make them effective. One step at a time.

nothing to be ashamed of, i rekon most people here would be fans. and many would own the dvds, i know i do.

in fact, i would say that KK would be one of the No 1 reasons that people that grew up in the 80s would have taken up MA in the first place.

there is no MA problem that cant be solved with a KK quote.

Now you use head for something other than target.

This is all good advice. All I'd have to add would be to practice very slowly at first. Let the speed happen later, just focus on getting the movements down.

If you're a fan of nascar & racing, you see how fast those pit crews work to change a tire, fuel the car, etc? Well they don't get that fast practicing real quick. They move very...very...painfully slowly. The speed comes along naturally.

This is a good point. It comes down to developing the muscle memory. Once it is built up, adding speed will be easier. Then, once speed has been leveled out, you can start doing speed training to improve it.