• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

jump kicks; when did you learn them?

PlasmaShock

I might want to note Jaymac, for those not familiar with Kanku Dai, that the Jump kick in Kanku Dai is really not the "flying" type of jump kick.

When doing the jump kick in Kanku Dai, when the one foot comes up for the kick, the other foot immediately switches down to the floor. This is completely different than flying in the air while kicking.

- Killer -

Mizu No Kokoro

Shodan - Nishiyama Sensei

Table Tennis: http://www.jmblades.com/

Auto Weblog: http://appliedauto.mypunbb.com/

Auto Forum: http://appauto.wordpress.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In our Kata, we do a double front kick coming off the floor, both feet in air at one time. Obviously the left foot lands first but they are both off the ground at one point.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

in shotokan there is jumping kicks and we do learn them at 3rd kyu level, some people dont do them in shotokan but why? they are shotokan techniques so why not learn them it makes no sense to me!!!
Many people will practise thses in Kata only. It's not uncommon, there are many many techniques that pepole don't include in their training other than Kata. Hiza Geri just happens to be one of them.

why just in kata there are more jumping kicks that are not in kata!! so how would you learn them? in our club jump kicks are in the brown belt and above sylabus so u have to learn them!!

"When I punch, I do not hit, it hits all by itself."

Bruce Lee

There are a lot of comments about the effectiveness of jump kicks. You can gain a lot power through the momentum of these kicks. They can be useful in sparring, depending on the style of sparring that you do. Are they effective on the streets? I think not likely, but someone else may have used one with success in the streets.

My question is this: Do you like to do them, if not just for fun? I like them because they are challenging and provide a good workout.

in shotokan there is jumping kicks and we do learn them at 3rd kyu level, some people dont do them in shotokan but why? they are shotokan techniques so why not learn them it makes no sense to me!!!
Many people will practise thses in Kata only. It's not uncommon, there are many many techniques that pepole don't include in their training other than Kata. Hiza Geri just happens to be one of them.

why just in kata there are more jumping kicks that are not in kata!! so how would you learn them? in our club jump kicks are in the brown belt and above sylabus so u have to learn them!!

What ones are not in Kata?

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Ok so what about this? If you don't learn jump kicks or flying kicks in your dojo (which i mentioned earlier we don't). It's something i have always wanted to learn. If you have lots of martial arts experience already, do you guys think you could learn them properly from a book or DVD?

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

jumping, or flying, kicks would have their usage, they just probably wouldnt occur as often.

example, someone is throw rocks, or something at you from accross a ditch, or whatever, there is no retreat and no side exit available.

so, you run, perform a jumping kick over the ditch.

ok, so its a pretty crap example, but there is going to be some situations that *could* occur that a jump kick would be used.

if there wasnt, they never would have entered in to a traditional sylabus for any art.

Now you use head for something other than target.