• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Using knee's in karate

Orient

kyokushin seems to me to be a fairly combative type of karate, kinda like a muy thai type thing.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are right, Zorbasan. From what I have read about it, it is very fight oriented. During some of their gradings, they have multiple man kumite, where the person being graded has to fight 2 minute rounds consecutively against so many opponents. I have even heard of 40 man kumite! However, they still do katas as well.

We tend to use knee technique to get you ready to learn kicks, as a beginner. :)

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

We tend to use knee technique to get you ready to learn kicks, as a beginner. :)

This is good practice! I was doing a knee, then kick drill in our children's kicking class a couple of weeks ago. It is good to build speed for the chamber, and getting the feel for kneeing a target.

We use knees in a couple of our kata, Passai Sho and Pinan Yondan, but not in much else. I throw in knees from Thai boxing as much as I can just to annoy my partners, and I frequently get called out for not providing a "defensible" attack.

Duh. :)

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

We use knees in a couple of our kata, Passai Sho and Pinan Yondan, but not in much else. I throw in knees from Thai boxing as much as I can just to annoy my partners, and I frequently get called out for not providing a "defensible" attack.

Duh. :)

With respect,

Sohan

Geez, Sohan, what were you thinking!!?? Attacking in a way they could not defend. The nerve.... :D :D :D

That's good stuff!

This is good practice! I was doing a knee, then kick drill in our children's kicking class a couple of weeks ago. It is good to build speed for the chamber, and getting the feel for kneeing a target.

Not just that but if you work with a bag when doing the knee techniques, you're also training your hips too.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Not very big in shotokan, but as others have mentioned they are used in some kata and bunkai. I have never used it in sparring and have never really seen it either. Sometimes i will bring my knee up to try and do a dummy kick, but thats about it really.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

whose a geri?

hiza geri

HAHAHAH

(weird mood)

coincidentally, a few years ago, one of the children in my judo class was watching me teach hiza guruma. She didn't understand what I said, and replied "What? He's a gorilla??"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: