• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who else feels this way?

Does this happen to anyone else? I guess it is a good thing, this way I don't become complacent in my training. Just curious on what eveybody's take on this is.

This is just par for the course. Breaking through a plateau is a struggle.

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm away from my school so all of my training is solo as well.

When I hit periods like you are going through. I try to focus on past workouts when everything clicked & generating power felt almost effortless - anything to keep the motivation up. Another thing I'll do is split the workout to once in the early AM & after work. The shorter training periods feel less draining.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A plateu is a normal part of your training. I sometimes have those days (like yesterday) when i think that I really should be doing better. And then I check out a whole load of new schools in the area and then it goes away.

You just need to find what keeps you going and concentrate on that. Remember, you are always heading towards your goals as long as you are trying. If you cannot see this, then you are trying to strive too far. Set some short term goals.

One step seems to make no progress on a thousand miles, but one step makes a big difference when the journey is only 10 steps away.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Bushido, a very wise person once spoke to me about the value of being on a plateau. Oftentimes we feel that we are not progressing at our endeavors, and that we are simply remaining at the same level that we always have been. However, as long as we are giving an effort, we are always improving, whether we realize it or not. The plateau simply offers us an opportunity to assess where we are, and gives us a chance to refine those techniques and skills that may one day save our life.

Everyone progresses at different rates, and even our own individual progression varies as well. Sometimes it requires more training, sometimes less, and sometimes its just better to forget MA for an evening, go out with your buddies, and have a good time.

With respect,

Sohan

Thanks, Sohan. Good advise! :karate:

If the learning curve stayed the same all the time, it'd get too stressful, or too boring. These things come and go with time; just keep on keeping on, and remember that you're probably not as bad as you tell yourself you are. :wink:

You are probably right. I try to feel confident in my techniques, but it seems like I get myself down on it at times.

1. you may be overtraining

2. you may be at a plateau

3. maybe it's time to create some new goals and strive to reach them

I don't think it is overtraining, because I only get to class twice a week. However, I am trying to start doing some grappling, so maybe working on this will help me with setting new goals.

Thank you, elbows_and_knees.

I have been working on some different stuff lately, working out solo at home. I have been getting frustrated with myself lately, because I feel that I am not where I should be for as long as I have been working with the MAs.

Class always gets me tired, even after being in my current dojang for over 4 years now. I just feel like I am working my butt off, but not getting anywhere. It feels like everything is a struggle.

I am not trying to run myself down; this is just how I feel. Plateau, I guess

The 4th dan in the school says everything I do looks good, technique wise and all, and another of the 1st dans says he even looks to me for technique comparison.

I am not trying to brag here, because I still feel like I am struggling with techniques at times, and sometimes don't feel good about them.

Does this happen to anyone else? I guess it is a good thing, this way I don't become complacent in my training. Just curious on what eveybody's take on this is.

i fell like that 2. infact very often. all you have to do is keep your head high and dont give up because this happens to everyone someitme. sometimes i dont get anything right in the class and im worn out at the end from frustration and panic. :lol:

Happens to all of us. When you are ready, you will see yourself have big gains again.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I tend to learn in what I persit=eve are plateaus as well. I progress very quickly then plateau for a while, I look at it two ways. First, if I am maintaining then my body is having a chance to develope muscle memory at that level.

Second, by sticking with it, and pushing through, I develop mental toughness, it isn't a complete plateau.

Keep training-you'll push through.

5th Dan Tang Soo Do

Maybe the 4th at 1st dans are right. It is often hard to judge your own proficiency. It usually takes an "outside-looking-in" perspective. It might very well be that your skills are right on track and you just don't realize it. My advice to you is the same my instructor gives to all of his students: get a video camera. Put yourself on tape, and watch it. Not only will you find weaknesses you never knew about, you will find strengths as well. Also keep in mind that you don't really know exactly where you skills should be, because you have never been here before! Your higher-ranked friends and instructors have. Trust their input, and ask them how they think you should improve (none of us here have ever seen you train, have we?). A friend of mine feel often feels the same way. She is very good for her level, but constantly works herself up because her techniques aren't to perfection. Well, of course they aren't to the same caliber our higher ranking black belts' techniques are . . . SHE'S A GREEN BELT. You might not be where you want to be (who ever is?), but that doesn't mean that you aren't where you should be.