• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who else feels this way?

I have been working on some different stuff lately, working out solo at home. I have been getting frustrated with myself lately, because I feel that I am not where I should be for as long as I have been working with the MAs.

Class always gets me tired, even after being in my current dojang for over 4 years now. I just feel like I am working my butt off, but not getting anywhere. It feels like everything is a struggle.

I am not trying to run myself down; this is just how I feel. Plateau, I guess

The 4th dan in the school says everything I do looks good, technique wise and all, and another of the 1st dans says he even looks to me for technique comparison.

I am not trying to brag here, because I still feel like I am struggling with techniques at times, and sometimes don't feel good about them.

Does this happen to anyone else? I guess it is a good thing, this way I don't become complacent in my training. Just curious on what eveybody's take on this is.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think everyone gets like that at times (if not, its just you and me!). try to forget about where you think you should be, and even how good or bad you think you are, and focus on each technique at a time. soon enough you'll start to feel you're making progress again, even though you've been making progress all along, you're just not noticing it.

you have to keep walking without trying to get anywhere. you know, classic zen stuff :)

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

i think everyone gets like that at times (if not, its just you and me!). try to forget about where you think you should be, and even how good or bad you think you are, and focus on each technique at a time. soon enough you'll start to feel you're making progress again, even though you've been making progress all along, you're just not noticing it.

you have to keep walking without trying to get anywhere. you know, classic zen stuff :)

Yeah, you're probably right. I need to find some philosophical stuff to read now!

Bushido, a very wise person once spoke to me about the value of being on a plateau. Oftentimes we feel that we are not progressing at our endeavors, and that we are simply remaining at the same level that we always have been. However, as long as we are giving an effort, we are always improving, whether we realize it or not. The plateau simply offers us an opportunity to assess where we are, and gives us a chance to refine those techniques and skills that may one day save our life.

Everyone progresses at different rates, and even our own individual progression varies as well. Sometimes it requires more training, sometimes less, and sometimes its just better to forget MA for an evening, go out with your buddies, and have a good time.

With respect,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

I also am on a plateau of sorts. But the thing is I'd hate to always be on an upturn...that would suck. Can you imagine a time in your training where you are never on a plateau? No time to just train and enjoy yourself? Yep...enjoy it while it lasts. My take on plateaus are your brain's chance to reach a new high.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I've been on several plateaus in my MA career. They are usually very frustrating. I've always tried to change up my workouts a bit (running, more forms, bag work, even buying a new uniform). Sometimes it's worked & sometimes it just takes time. Plateaus happen to everyone. I just wish there was one sure way to get past them. The only one I know is to get training.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

If the learning curve stayed the same all the time, it'd get too stressful, or too boring. These things come and go with time; just keep on keeping on, and remember that you're probably not as bad as you tell yourself you are. :wink:

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

For me, like for everybody esle as it seems, it goes up and down too. It is usually tough for me to go through plateaus (or even lows) but in retrospect I always realize the value of it. The value I get out of these things is almost always of the psychological or mental kind, like to learn perseverance, for example.

My longest and most tedious plateau was in the year before my Shodan examination and lasted for about 6 months. I was almost ready to quit, but what kept me going was the recollection of how much I used to love karate. I did train a little less and tried to do other things to get my mind off of the major karate rut I was in. But I never stayed away from the dojo for too long, because I think it is VERY easy to quit in a situation like this, when you don't get the satisfaction you are used to out of it.

Eventually, as my exam came closer, I hiked it up a little and then after I passed my exam I went on this karate high that lasted at this intensity for a very long and satisfying time. So.... I guess my advice is: keep training! Perhaps a little less, but keep at it.