• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

"opening and closing the gate"

JimmyNewton

Was wondering who can tell me the sigifigance of this?

What I'm referring to is what iv'e seen in many Kata. Assuming the left leg is in front..when stepping the right leg comes p and makes a small half circleto the left inside ankle, then right leg placed in front.

do you know what I'm tlaking about? I've heard it referred to as "closing the gate" when stepping.

Can anyone give me their thoughts or opinions of the signifigance of this.

If not clear, I'll try to explain more thoroughly.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean as in stepping in a stance... Like Zenkotsu Dachi?

So you have you left leg forward, you bring your back foot towards your front in an arc, and place your right foot in front, in an arc going away from your foot....

Is that what you mean?

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

Was wondering who can tell me the sigifigance of this?

What I'm referring to is what iv'e seen in many Kata. Assuming the left leg is in front..when stepping the right leg comes p and makes a small half circleto the left inside ankle, then right leg placed in front.

do you know what I'm tlaking about? I've heard it referred to as "closing the gate" when stepping.

Can anyone give me their thoughts or opinions of the signifigance of this.

If not clear, I'll try to explain more thoroughly.

helps prtoect your man hood

Train hard fight easy.

I've heard that.

I've heard its for balance. I've even heard its been passed down that way because thats the way they actually walked (which that seems far fetched)...

any more thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

"The wise and successsful will always be met with violent opposition by mediocre minds."

Sounds like crescent stepping.

It does protect ones reproductive assets and also can be interpeted as a foot sweep while moving in on your opponent.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

We use this in shotokan when stepping through in front stance. To be honest i have never really thought of why it's done that way, so i find this thread very interesting. I'm going to ask my sensei about this tonight.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

it can have different interpretations, but i see at as bringing the foot to the side of the opponent and then stepping past him.

for example, an application for oi-tsuki: you're in a left foot forward stance, your attacker reaches to grab you with his right hand. you grab it and draw it to your waist with your left hand (the hikite) and step forward with your right foot. the step moves inward towards your left foot, going past the opponent's legs, and then out again so it lands behind his legs. at the same time you throw your right arm across the top of his body, and drop him over your right leg.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

It's got lots of purposes, one of which is for ballance. By sweeping your advancing foot by your rooted foot you gain a moment of stability before advancing. It makes it a bit harder to sweep you.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1