• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the JKD systems do use belts as a ranking system. It depends on the individual instructor. Bruce Lee did not, but it doesnt mean that a qualified JKD instructor could not or should not. Ranks are really just a reward system and a way to keep track of time and experience in an instructors view of training. I hope it doesn't sound like I am putting down the belt system, because actually I promote it.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.

Some of the JKD systems do use belts as a ranking system. It depends on the individual instructor. Bruce Lee did not, but it doesnt mean that a qualified JKD instructor could not or should not. Ranks are really just a reward system and a way to keep track of time and experience in an instructors view of training. I hope it doesn't sound like I am putting down the belt system, because actually I promote it.

I agree with you here. I also support a rank system. However, I don't think it is necessary for all styles. I like it, but I would do a style that didn't have one as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've never been a big belt fan. For those with JKD belt systems, how do they work? How does one advance without kata (which I never thought was a good way to rank fighters anyway)?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

i did JKD for 6 months at professional school and, yes, we had a belt system. did the JKD Bruce Lee taught personally have a belt system? no. some schools do, some schools dont. i think my school had belts just to hold things together a little better and to make it more organized. but, it wasnt a requirement at my school to wear your belt.