• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Accepting back past students to the dojo?

i always think that if you change to another school in your style, you should at least be given the opportunity to show what you know at a grading or something. then you can start again if you don't know how that school does things, or you can keep going from the appropriate point.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good idea, alsey. I know that the ATA works this way, for the most part. My wife's cousin is going from a school in my current association to the ATA. She is a 3rd dan, and the ATA will accept her rank, based on performance of her current material, demonstration of technique, and probably proof of rank certificate.

Yeah this is what im getting at. When my son left the sukokai club with me to go to shotokan they allowed him in on his yellow belt on the condition he didnt grade for six months. We were both really happy with this.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

Yeah this is what im getting at. When my son left the sukokai club with me to go to shotokan they allowed him in on his yellow belt on the condition he didnt grade for six months. We were both really happy with this.

Most dojos will almost never take a colored belt rank away from a child.

It means more to a child than an adult and would possibly have them lose their desire to train. The usual protocall is they keep the belt and then work up to the rank and can not test for higher rank until they are ready.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Sometimes I wish our Sensei wouldn't allow past students to come back. Anytime someone stays away for a while and then comes back we all get punished. He's the same way when a new student comes in. Anytime I see a new face or someone who hasn't been there for awhile I know I'm going to be really sore the next day. Tuesday night another guy joked to me that we were going to start scoping out the parking lot and shooting new students before they have a chance to make it inside. Oh well, I guess we can all profit from the extra intensity.

Sometimes I wish our Sensei wouldn't allow past students to come back. Anytime someone stays away for a while and then comes back we all get punished. He's the same way when a new student comes in. Anytime I see a new face or someone who hasn't been there for awhile I know I'm going to be really sore the next day. Tuesday night another guy joked to me that we were going to start scoping out the parking lot and shooting new students before they have a chance to make it inside. Oh well, I guess we can all profit from the extra intensity.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that when someone new comes in your sensei is extra strict or hard on the rest of the class? If i'm right, then i think this may be a little harsh.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that when someone new comes in your sensei is extra strict or hard on the rest of the class? If i'm right, then i think this may be a little harsh."

No. What I mean is that our warmup routine and our workout in general is more intense than usual. Could be a coincidence but I don't think so. I'm not complaining. I need all the work I can get.

It is the ones who get defensive about it that bother me. "Well, the black belt is not in my style, and that style doesn't do this or that, so blah, blah, blah." When it is ego in the way, that bothers me.

I agree!!! Ego is the one thing that spoils the Martial Arts the most!!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Most dojos will almost never take a colored belt rank away from a child.

It means more to a child than an adult and would possibly have them lose their desire to train. The usual protocall is they keep the belt and then work up to the rank and can not test for higher rank until they are ready.

I agree completely with what you are saying. You should never take a belt away from a child. Having said that, there is no usual protocol. It just depends on the individual school.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

"I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that when someone new comes in your sensei is extra strict or hard on the rest of the class? If i'm right, then i think this may be a little harsh."

No. What I mean is that our warmup routine and our workout in general is more intense than usual. Could be a coincidence but I don't think so. I'm not complaining. I need all the work I can get.

Oh right i see. Well usually in our dojo if someone new walks in then the class is generally more relaxed while the new girl/guy settles in.