P.A.L

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice form, very graceful. Quite soft, compared to the forms that I do. I would love to see the applications of all the hand techniques.

most of white crane is about

A.Evading the first strike

B.Hitting eye or throat ( sometimes a pressure point)

C.killing body

in many cases the same blocking hand (front hand) does the strike too, and if back hand does the blocking then front hand fingers hit the eyes at the same time.

here is Matayoshi sensei doing a crane(could be snak or Mantis)? kata and a Monkey form

This is a nice form as well. Those low stances would absolutely KILL my knees.

Just out of curiosity, in the original post, is that your sensie?

Very nice form, very graceful. Quite soft, compared to the forms that I do. I would love to see the applications of all the hand techniques.

C.killing body

in many cases the same blocking hand (front hand) does the strike too, and if back hand does the blocking then front hand fingers hit the eyes at the same time.

here is Matayoshi sensei doing a crane(could be snak or Mantis)? kata and a Monkey form

No, I have trained with him( very nice guy) but he is not my direct sensei, he is my instructor's sensei in Okinawan white crane karate jutsu. He is a export in Okinawan weaponary and Okinawan white crane family styles, his base style is MAtsumura seito shorin ryu, he is a 8th dan and has a dojo around Austin.

I trained with Lindsey Shinshii to Nidan. He is an outstanding human being and a very, very capable old school Okinawan karate guy. He was starting fullback for the Texas A&M Aggies, joined the Army out of college, was stationed in Okinawa for some years in the mid 60s- early 70s. Started in Shotokan stateside, then did Uechi Ryu on Okinawa , then switched to Matsumura Seito under Fusei Kise and Hohan Soken. He made BB in a couple of years, was the All Okinawa BB Kumite champion (all styles), and then returned to the states. Unlike others who studied under Soken he continued to learn even beyond his years on the island, eventually being ranked as 7th dan by Hohan Soken, Fusei kise and Yuichi Kuda (matsumura Kenpo). You wouldn't know it but his one time students have been myriad and include George Alexander and Phil Koeppel (among many others).

He is the best and most knowledgable karate-ka you've never heard of. He never wanted to commercialize or just train anyone and in fact interviews all those wishing to learn at his home dojo in Central Texas. He is a very intelligent man, quite humble and devastating as a fighter. He's like 6'3" 250+ lbs. and moves fast as lightning. His ti or "tuite" is wicked. He is alike a modern Kenwa Mabuni, a veritable walking catalog of Shuri Te, Tomari Te and Fujian forms. Currently he is ranked 9th dan.

It's a shame that everyone can't learn karate like he teaches, but I guess the best stuff is always saved for the select few. I do know that he travels around doing seminars so if you are interested research him. Recently he has been trying to make his organization magazine, "Maishin Shorinji", available to more practitioners. This quarterly mag is full of all the history and explanation of Matsumura Orthodox technique you could ever want. I have the first few issues of it which were printed some years ago.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in and tell you that if you thought that looked pretty cool (that form vid) then you should see him do the Orthodox kata and weapons. Btw in his kobujutsu classes you actually learn to spar with weapons. Very cool. Later...

Empiricism leads to truth...

Emotion distorts the real...

I trained with Lindsey Shinshii to Nidan. He is an outstanding human being and a very, very capable old school Okinawan karate guy. He was starting fullback for the Texas A&M Aggies, joined the Army out of college, was stationed in Okinawa for some years in the mid 60s- early 70s. Started in Shotokan stateside, then did Uechi Ryu on Okinawa , then switched to Matsumura Seito under Fusei Kise and Hohan Soken. He made BB in a couple of years, was the All Okinawa BB Kumite champion (all styles), and then returned to the states. Unlike others who studied under Soken he continued to learn even beyond his years on the island, eventually being ranked as 7th dan by Hohan Soken, Fusei kise and Yuichi Kuda (matsumura Kenpo). You wouldn't know it but his one time students have been myriad and include George Alexander and Phil Koeppel (among many others).

He is the best and most knowledgable karate-ka you've never heard of. He never wanted to commercialize or just train anyone and in fact interviews all those wishing to learn at his home dojo in Central Texas. He is a very intelligent man, quite humble and devastating as a fighter. He's like 6'3" 250+ lbs. and moves fast as lightning. His ti or "tuite" is wicked. He is alike a modern Kenwa Mabuni, a veritable walking catalog of Shuri Te, Tomari Te and Fujian forms. Currently he is ranked 9th dan.

It's a shame that everyone can't learn karate like he teaches, but I guess the best stuff is always saved for the select few. I do know that he travels around doing seminars so if you are interested research him. Recently he has been trying to make his organization magazine, "Maishin Shorinji", available to more practitioners. This quarterly mag is full of all the history and explanation of Matsumura Orthodox technique you could ever want. I have the first few issues of it which were printed some years ago.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in and tell you that if you thought that looked pretty cool (that form vid) then you should see him do the Orthodox kata and weapons. Btw in his kobujutsu classes you actually learn to spar with weapons. Very cool. Later...

I knew chuck chandler got some of his katas from Mr. Lindsey but i didn't know about Geoge Alexander, if you look at Hakucho kata he does here, you can see it is almost identical to Kunimura Hakutsuru that Alexander has on DVD.

what crane katas did you learne from Mr. Lindsey?

This sounds like the kind of person I would love to study with. Thanks for sharing! You are very lucky.

C.killing body

No, I have trained with him( very nice guy) but he is not my direct sensei, he is my instructor's sensei in Okinawan white crane karate jutsu. He is a export in Okinawan weaponary and Okinawan white crane family styles, his base style is MAtsumura seito shorin ryu, he is a 8th dan and has a dojo around Austin.

Very cool indeed. Chances like that have to be taken advantage of.

This sounds like the kind of person I would love to study with. Thanks for sharing! You are very lucky.

Thank you and I am very lucky to call him sensei. Have a great week!!!

Empiricism leads to truth...

Emotion distorts the real...

P.A.L., not trying to hijack your thread, but I noticed that you train in Kobayashi Shorin Ryu. I train in Matsumura Seito, and I'm getting ready to move (military orders). I've spoken to an Kobayashi school near my new duty station, because I'm not sure if Matsumura Seito will be available in the area I'm moving to. Do you think many of the techniques and katas that I already know transfer well to Kobayashi from Matsumura Seito?

Rick_72

Technique wise everything should be the same, walking the floor should be same we use high stances, but your katas actually predate our katas, the major differences are probebly in Kusanku and Passai that we got sho and dai in each of them,some of your katas we don't practice anymore, i can tell you that you won't suffer the much that i suffered in a shito ryu school for one year,

one more thing, what's the lineage of the school? through Nakazato or Miyahira ?