• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who should name the dojo?

Triskel

Just out of curiosity, what was the name you wanted to use? Also, what association do you belong to and who is your sensi's sensi?

Byakkokan Shotokan Karate-Do

-------------------------

Karate ni sente nashi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're missing part of the story here...

Can you please tell us what sort of setup it is (eg. Franchise, Affiliation etc) and also, what the old name and new names are.

This might help us to form an opinion.

Sorry I couldn't answer earlier :P

There aren't such things as franchises in Costa Rica for MA, so basicaly it's an organization that certificates the students ... too many years ago (like 12) we were part of ANASKA and they formed part of JKA so our belts would have worldwide recognition, right now we are part of ISKY (International Shotokan Ryu Karate Yi Sin Mun) wich is somehow a new organization headed by Wei Jui Yi.

About the names we choose Byakkokan Shotokan Karate Do as the name of the dojo, and the new name is Karate Yi Sin Mun Naranjo "Naranjo" is the name of the city I live...

Thanks a lot for your answers, I haven't finished reading all, but I'm on it :karate:

Karate ni sente nashi

Sounds like Mr/Ms Sensei's Sensei is on a bit of a power trip. I'd drop someone like that like a hot potato.

I would do the same if I had enough karate knowledge but i'm just a 4 kyu... and he knows a lot and is really good at karate

Did I mentioned that he is (as much as I know) the higher black belt in Costa Rica?

Karate ni sente nashi

Well i think it's a shame you have had to change your jackets and such after putting money and effort into doing it. Really i agree with everyone else, the dojo should be named by the owner, the cheif instructor/sensei. Ours is simply lapwing SSK.

Walk away and your always a winner. https://www.shikata-shotokan.co.uk

The organization I am under does not care what you name the dojo or what else is taught as long as a student knows their curriculum for belt testing and certification.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

If the dojo is named under an organization, and if the organization has a claim to the syllabus you use, or you are franchised or something, then the head of the organization would probably have the final say.

I agree. I would like to add that if you want to be under the organization you follow what it says. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to talk to the head of the origanization and get permission to use the name before offically naming it. I believe that, traditionally, that is what would have been expected. Is the 8th dan oriential? Sometimes getting permissions is expected as a cultural kind of way.

I hope that all goes well with your school.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit because I have seen footprints on the moon!" -- Paul Brandt

I agree. I would like to add that if you want to be under the organization you follow what it says. Perhaps it would have been a good idea to talk to the head of the origanization and get permission to use the name before offically naming it. I believe that, traditionally, that is what would have been expected. Is the 8th dan oriential? Sometimes getting permissions is expected as a cultural kind of way.

Perhaps we were jsut too naive... :roll:

Yep he IS oriental (from taiwan actually)

Thanks a lot to everybody!

Karate ni sente nashi

Perhaps we were jsut too naive... :roll:

Yep he IS oriental (from taiwan actually)

Thanks a lot to everybody!

Karate ni sente nashi

Hi! I've a little question...

Recently at my dojo we thought about givin' our dojo a name, after a little research and some time we found one we all like. We even bought some jackets with the name on it.

But sensei's sensei ( :-? ) (an 8th dan, president and founder of our karate association) even knowing we spend money in the jackets told sensei to change the name of the dojo and he even told him the name he MUST use... And of course we can't use the jackets...

So this is my question...

Who should name the dojo? It's something pretty personal and should somehow represent the people at least what the owner thinks...

Thanks a lot for your answers :D I'd like to hear opinions from some black belts if it's possible...

The owner should get to choose the name but everyone should agree on the name before anything happens like jackets are made and so on. :D