• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who knows this kata?

Ti

Definitely Unsu. You can here him say it twice at the beginning if you listen closely. In our dojo we do perform this kata a little differently. The timing is different, and the jump is as well.

The jump is watered down by some, and I say watered down because they can't do it the way it's intended too. Not that I'm saying your dojo is watering it down but the way it's done in both of these videos is the original way it was intended to be done.

BTW, there is a kick...or two intended in this jump, if you look closely.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely Unsu. You can here him say it twice at the beginning if you listen closely. In our dojo we do perform this kata a little differently. The timing is different, and the jump is as well.

The jump is watered down by some, and I say watered down because they can't do it the way it's intended too. Not that I'm saying your dojo is watering it down but the way it's done in both of these videos is the original way it was intended to be done.

BTW, there is a kick...or two intended in this jump, if you look closely.

Actually I'm not in that particular dojo. Just wanted to clear that up in case anyone thought I was.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

That 's unsu .First guy doing it is ok ,but not the best and Kanazawa sensei is good but Yahara sensei performs it very well ,it is realy great to watch him do it if you get the chance. I like this kata a lot ,I feel I am still a long way away from mastering it ,but that probably means mastering shotokan ,so I think it is a good yardstick in that sense .

Needless to say by mastering it I mean the whole concept and applications of the techniques involved by heart .And that doesen't come without years of hard work and quality instruction in the dojo .

The jump has indeed a couple of kicks involved ,its application is very real and practical in self defence .

never give up !

I don't know this kata or style, but this guy does it more than justice!

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

I've heard it is a technically challenging kata. One of the nidans in our dojo selected it as "her" kata, and boy she's absolutely amazing.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

I have to say, that being a Korean stylist, and enjoying my forms and the kicks we do in some of them, that I have come to enjoy watching these different karate forms that get posted from time to time. It sounds like the karate-kas have a little more freedom to specialize in certain forms as well. When I test, I have the form for my rank, and then all below it, and at competitions, I must do my rank form, or get docked points.

I just enjoy the freedom it seems like you guys get.