• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

On Passing (An update on failing!)

Fish

A few months ago I posted about my experience of failing my test for 3rd kyu (first brown belt in our system), and my feelings and reflections on it.

Yesterday, I tested again, and this time I passed.

Looking back, I feel that initial failure was one of the best things that could have happened. It may be dig in, analyse my faults and practise persistently to overcome them. On reflection, I did not fail first time round...I learnt more about how to learn.

And passing feels so much sweeter as a result. :)

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well done. You came to the foot of another mountain and instead of turning back you chose to climb up. Thank you for being an example to those who look up to you and of what the Martial Arts are about.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Jiffy

You are right! However, I think it can be harder for kids to fail - yesterday there were a couple who didn't pass who were quite upset about it. Could be just the nervous tension, I suppose. Hopefully, they'll bounce back.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

Jiffy

You are right! However, I think it can be harder for kids to fail - yesterday there were a couple who didn't pass who were quite upset about it. Could be just the nervous tension, I suppose. Hopefully, they'll bounce back.

When I taught Shotokan we had several kids who didn't pass their rank test, usually purple, brown, and black belt levels. Myself and the other instructors always sat down with those students and explained to them why they didn't pass, told them what they needed to do in order to pass the next time, and encouraged them to work harder. We never had anyone quit because they didn't pass, it just made them want the rank more, so they showed us what we already knew they could do at the next testing. Our philosophy was pretty much, if they didn't pass, they needed to know why they didn't pass, whether it was form, power, attitude, not knowing all of the material as well as they should (like not remembering the lower rank material that they had already tested with in the past), or a combination of the above. Sometimes, it is good for some of the students to fail. I don't believe in "giving" a rank just because someone tested for it. They have to earn it.

I admire you for sticking to it. Keep it up!

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

Congratulations on passing!

It is said that we learn more from our failures than we do from our successes. Although we never want to hear this, it is so very true. And we all fail at some point, and come back better for it.

I dont think "failing" is a good term to use when not passing a grading. perhaps something along the lines of "continuing the test at the next grading" or something like that would make them feel better, rather than saying "passed" or "failed"

if a student has the proper mind set, not passing a grading should not be considered as a terrible thing, just an opportunity to continue to improve without the burden of learning a new sylabus. (or something)

Now you use head for something other than target.