Shotokan-kez

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in most cases you can grade up to two grade below yourself, so the minimum for promoting to shodan is Sandan, I read somewhere the Steven Segal's father in law promoted him quickly to sandan which enabled him to open a dojo in japan( from what i have seen of him , i guess he was well deserved)

From what I understand Seagal went from Shodan to Godan rather quickly and took over his father in law's dojo. I don't think his father in law was the one that graded him, though. This might be the case but is peculiar to me if so. Seagal's first wife, Miyako Fujitani, has been quoted saying something along the lines as: "The person that graded Seagal was drunk and asleep during his test". I have no idea if what she says is true or not because I'm sure she has ill feelings towards Seagal.

I don't think Seagal was ever a sandan is what I'm saying. Grading is a tricky thing. In Some associations you can grade one rank below yourself and in others I even know of you having to be at least a yondan/4th dan to grade someone to shodan. Anything higher than shodan in some associations has to be done in front of a board of other high ranking instructors.

So true. It comes down to the age old question of what does a grade entail. The short answer is the grade is in the mind, not on the hip.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

So true. It comes down to the age old question of what does a grade entail. The short answer is the grade is in the mind, not on the hip.

yes, but without good hips, you wont make the grade HHAHHAAH

but yeah, i have been 6th kyu for a bout a year now, for whatever reason ive not been able to grade, whether its money or other commitments. but it doesnt worry me. some of the kids at the school said they couldnt handle being the same grade for so long. I asked them why did it matter. in my own mind i know i am capable of a higher grade, and had situations been different i could have been 1st kyu by now, grading for shodan in december (other students that started at the same time as me are doing this now). I'll get there eventually, and when i do, i'll know i earnt it aswell.

Now you use head for something other than target.

yes, but without good hips, you wont make the grade HHAHHAAH

MWAHAHAHA. ROFLMAO

but yeah, i have been 6th kyu for a bout a year now, for whatever reason ive not been able to grade, whether its money or other commitments. but it doesnt worry me. some of the kids at the school said they couldnt handle being the same grade for so long. I asked them why did it matter. in my own mind i know i am capable of a higher grade, and had situations been different i could have been 1st kyu by now, grading for shodan in december (other students that started at the same time as me are doing this now). I'll get there eventually, and when i do, i'll know i earnt it aswell.

Exactly!!! No rush. Remember.... Slow to learn, slow to forget.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.