• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where do you stand in line?

DeeBoy

If a student from another style joins your class and holds a black belt, where do they stand in your class? do they remove their belt and stand at the end of the line with the white belts, or do they keep their belt on and join the black belt ranks?

I have been to other styles at the request of the instuctor and then told not to wear my black belt and join the white belts. And then I have been to other schools and been invited to train with senior grades.

What is the protocol for your school?

'The key to immortality is to live a life worth remembering'

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At our Dojo, any outside visitos must take off their belt (no matter the colour) and join the white belts..

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

yup, stand with the white belts. If you're a beginner in our style, then that's where you stand.

However, you may enjoy the ability to progress more quickly due to previous experience, but you may also have some horrible habits that we need to address...remember an empty cup is easier to fill with new than a cup filled with old.

In our club, if they're from another karate style then they keep their belt on and join in at the appropriate place. If they're from another martial art however, they must wear a white belt.

Richard Hang Hong

Chief Instructor

Seitou Ryu Karate

Find me on Facebook!Seitou Ryu Karate

The couple people we've had visit from other styles wear their black belts, but stand at the end. My instructor really doesn't care where they stand - he says it's just a line, after all.

It really does irk me, though, that we have two other guys who are black belts in a different system than ours that refuse to do group lessons. They both train only in private lessons, and wear their black belts. That screams arrogant, to me.

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

If they were only visiting we would invite them to wear their normal belts; they have earned their grades and we respect that. If they wanted to train in our style though we would probably have to assess whether they have enough knowledge to retain their grade, or if it would be more beneficial for them to work up the grades.

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

Pretty much the same as Angela's school.

We have had some senior grades from all over and they are invited to wear their current grade/belts when training however if they joined full time they would be evaluated.