• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hi---just returned to karate

Heva

Welcome!

Have a good time here! Any questions, feel free to ask! :D

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, and welcome.

I have know people to be in similar situations. Usually only takes a couple of months to fall back into the routines of things, but those first few months are going to feel like they go on forever. You're going to be tired, uncoordinated, etc... this will pass. it will all come back to you with time and practice.

Congratulations on returning to the martial arts. Keep us posted on your training

"On Ko Chi Shin"

thankyou everyone for the warm welcome, i am on my 3rd week back and i should be getting my uniform today :D thanks again,

heva xXx

*TheUndecided*

~Chojinkai Kid~

Hello All,

I am in a similar situation myself. I just returned to martial arts. But for a different reason this time.

I earned my black belt when I was 20 and I was fighting in tournaments until I was 24 and a year later I totally quit the sport to start a family life. MY wife became concerned that I could get hurt and thus won't be able to support the family - a hard decision but I quit the sport.

I can understand how the wife felt because the tournaments that I used to join are the no-holds barred type. ie. full contact, no protective gear, hair cut short, belts are short so they can't be grabbed, etc.

Now 20 years later and at 46 years old, I am back. Inspired by my 11-year old son. He wants to learn MA and he wants me to go with him. So now we both go to learn kenpo and TaeKwonDo - yellow belts currently.

When as before I did it for adventure, now I am back in martial arts for health reasons. I am diabetic and now I've seen my blood sugar go down to normal levels without medications. My blood pressure is also going down.

So i guess it is never too late to go back.

:)

hi everyone!! im heather im 15 n ive just returned to karate as a green belt after 5 years. I used to do it for about 6 years before i gave it up i used to compete in katas,which i enjoyed most. ive been back for a couple of weeks now and i can't wait to compete again lol. i am finding the classes alright and it is coming back to me really well. i was just wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation and how long it took them to get back into it.

cheers,

Heather;)

This is the kind of thread that I joined this forum for. I'm Ian, I'm also 15, and I just went back a few months ago, after 3 years or so. I got to shodan, and then I quit. When I went back, I found the classes to be excruciating, physically. The katas that I knew to get to shodan were replaced by other ones, that I now have to learn. So I can't really help there. Anyway, It's been about half a year, and I now find that classes don't bother me physically anymore, just because the repetition of the exercise really does wonders for endurance.

We're not really a tournament dojo, so I'm afraid I can't help with anything like that.

Hope that helps!

Hello All,

I am in a similar situation myself. I just returned to martial arts. But for a different reason this time.

I earned my black belt when I was 20 and I was fighting in tournaments until I was 24 and a year later I totally quit the sport to start a family life. MY wife became concerned that I could get hurt and thus won't be able to support the family - a hard decision but I quit the sport.

I can understand how the wife felt because the tournaments that I used to join are the no-holds barred type. ie. full contact, no protective gear, hair cut short, belts are short so they can't be grabbed, etc.

Now 20 years later and at 46 years old, I am back. Inspired by my 11-year old son. He wants to learn MA and he wants me to go with him. So now we both go to learn kenpo and TaeKwonDo - yellow belts currently.

When as before I did it for adventure, now I am back in martial arts for health reasons. I am diabetic and now I've seen my blood sugar go down to normal levels without medications. My blood pressure is also going down.

So i guess it is never too late to go back.

:)

Welcome to the forums, and welcome back to MA! :karate:

hi everyone!! im heather im 15 n ive just returned to karate as a green belt after 5 years. I used to do it for about 6 years before i gave it up i used to compete in katas,which i enjoyed most. ive been back for a couple of weeks now and i can't wait to compete again lol. i am finding the classes alright and it is coming back to me really well. i was just wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation and how long it took them to get back into it.

cheers,

Heather;)

This is the kind of thread that I joined this forum for. I'm Ian, I'm also 15, and I just went back a few months ago, after 3 years or so. I got to shodan, and then I quit. When I went back, I found the classes to be excruciating, physically. The katas that I knew to get to shodan were replaced by other ones, that I now have to learn. So I can't really help there. Anyway, It's been about half a year, and I now find that classes don't bother me physically anymore, just because the repetition of the exercise really does wonders for endurance.

We're not really a tournament dojo, so I'm afraid I can't help with anything like that.

Hope that helps!

yes thats interesting, im interested in the katas in your style of karate.i do wadu ryu and we do a kata called 'pinan shodan' is that the same as what you called 'shodan'? and what other katas do you do?

cheers, heva

*TheUndecided*

~Chojinkai Kid~

No. The literal translation for "Shodan" is "Beginner Step", but is usually used in the contect of "1st Step"

When used on it's own, it generally means a grade. ("Shodan" means 1st Dan, or 1st Step)

With the Kata, the "Shodan" is used to give katas of the same type an identifier.

Eg.

Heian Shodan = Peaceful Mind, 1st Step

Heian Nidan = Peaceful Mind, 2nd Step

Heain Sandan = Peaceful Mind, 3rd Step

etc etc

Tekki Shodan = Horse Riding, 1st Step

Tekki Nidan = Horse Riding, 2nd Step

etc etc

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.