• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tell me about your Tang Soo Do classes!

I don't know why, but I am very interested in Tang Soo Do, and what goes on in the classes. So, just let me have it. Tell me anything you want about it. I would like to compare what the TSD people do to what I do in my TKD classes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) My class is VERY strict.

My teacher was in the military.

So every time he gives us a command, we say, with clarity, "Yes, sir!"

:)

When I did TSD, our classes started with basics (ALWAYS). My instrutor was very strict about drilling basics (and picky about technique). Then we went into forms and/or one steps. Then self defense and/or sparring.

It depended on the night, the amount in class, and the room. Sometimes we had a full house, and there was no room for forms. So we'd do one steps, and take turns sparring or self defense drills.

In small classes, we do basics, forms, one steps, and ended with either sparring or self defense. I would always go to the smaller classes usually later in the week, so I'd get the whole curriculum (almost) in one night :D

Laurie F

When I did TSD, our classes started with basics (ALWAYS). My instrutor was very strict about drilling basics (and picky about technique). Then we went into forms and/or one steps. Then self defense and/or sparring.

It depended on the night, the amount in class, and the room. Sometimes we had a full house, and there was no room for forms. So we'd do one steps, and take turns sparring or self defense drills.

In small classes, we do basics, forms, one steps, and ended with either sparring or self defense. I would always go to the smaller classes usually later in the week, so I'd get the whole curriculum (almost) in one night :D

That sounds exactly like my TKD classes, to the T, but with not as much self-defense, and more one-steps.

I was curious, were the basics you started class with always the same, or were they different each time? I will compare with you if you give me an idea.

:) My class is VERY strict.

My teacher was in the military.

So every time he gives us a command, we say, with clarity, "Yes, sir!"

:)

What organization are you with, and what forms system do you use?

That sounds exactly like my TKD classes, to the T, but with not as much self-defense, and more one-steps.

My TKD classes are similar as well, especially when it comes to being very picky with proper technique. The difference is that we focus on only one or two aspects of our training in each class (be it forms, basics, sparring, kicking, self defense, etc.) The schedule rotates so that each class will work on a different aspect every week. I think it's just the way the scheduling goes. We sign our students up to come on the same day(s) every week so each week we can give our full attention to whatever is scheduled.

I've heard a lot about how TSD is more traditional and TKD is just for sports, etc. but I've competed and trained with TSD guys, and I can't find much of a difference at all. It seems to follow the same logic as any other MA: different instructor = different teaching style.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I was curious, were the basics you started class with always the same, or were they different each time? I will compare with you if you give me an idea.

No, my instructor would change it up, so it wouldn't get boring. Sometimes he would do just basic low block, high block, inside block, outside block, ect. Then the basic kicks: front, round, side and back kick. The next night, he would throw in combos of those down the floor. Usually later in the week, he would do the spinning and jumping versions of the kicks (less people, more room). Some nights we did basic kicks/punches on the bag. Then did flying kicks at the bag or pads held in the air (fun :D ). Or we'd do target work with the above. So he mixed it up pretty good.

Laurie F

My TKD classes are similar as well, especially when it comes to being very picky with proper technique. The difference is that we focus on only one or two aspects of our training in each class (be it forms, basics, sparring, kicking, self defense, etc.) The schedule rotates so that each class will work on a different aspect every week. I think it's just the way the scheduling goes. We sign our students up to come on the same day(s) every week so each week we can give our full attention to whatever is scheduled.

I've heard a lot about how TSD is more traditional and TKD is just for sports, etc. but I've competed and trained with TSD guys, and I can't find much of a difference at all. It seems to follow the same logic as any other MA: different instructor = different teaching style.

I agree with your comments here. Our TKD class is very 'traditional,' I guess you could say. We are not a sport oriented style at all. My instructor is very technical, and very big on being prepared for testings and such. We do go to competitions, but he makes sure that we are willing to compete both forms and sparring.

• 4 weeks later...

MY TSD

Forms are the original TSD forms taken from Shotokan.

Basics emphasis straight Linear techniques. There is very little emphasis on Jumping techniques and spinning. There's no Jump spinning.

Chambering of hand techniques : High chamber low technique and vice versus.