• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What kind of diet/training advice for a 40 year old guy?

mustbnuts

Hello, I am new here. Man there is a ton of info.

I am 40 and recently started working out again. I am wanting to mainly cut some weight and build endurance. At my age I have no ambitions of being a body builder or power lifter. I do want to get my body in the best shape possible for my MA and to build endurance.

In other words, I can still hang, but I no longer lead.

I have a couple questions.

I am practicing MA three times a week for one hour. What else should I do? Should I lift on days that I train, or off days? There is an extensive weight collection available. I know I need to build cardio, how often should I run?

What should my diet be? I have already added some whole wheat carbs into my low-fat diet, since reading several of the posts here. Are protien shakes an option for a guy like me who is slightly over weight, but loosing weight.

I know I want to loose my weight slowly. Not a problem, I didn't gain it over night either.

If someone could give me a typical days meals, it would be great.

Thanks in advance, I probably shopuld have broke this post up.

When your on your back, it doesn't matter what put you there.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you can help it, don't run. Your knees will hate it. Swimming is the best, hands down. A year long membership at the YMCA is only $250 and worth every penny.

I'll just give you my typical cutting diet:

-one apple, glass of orange juice, shredded wheat

-orange, baby carrots, tuna sandwich no mayo with onions, green peppers and lots of pepper.

-banana, turkey sandwich with a piece of swiss, glass of skim milk.

-handful of nuts, strawberry and blueberry mix bowl, glass of skim milk.

-chicken breast w/garlic tomato sauce over rice, peas and a piece of garlic bread, glass of skim milk.

-cup of cottage cheese, peach and a glass of juice.

TYPICAL, I'm not the kind to regiment my food to harshly, I just eat what fruit's on sale or whatever sounds good. Saves money and tastes awesome if you're good with spices.

NO SUGAR, NO FAT, NO EXCEPTION.

"They look up, without realizing they're standing in the palm of your hand"

"I burn alive to keep you warm"

I have class two or three times a week, and I lift 4 days a week, usually in the morning or mid afternoon.

To help with endurance, you should do about 30 minutes of cardio every day if you can. As mentioned previously, swimming is great. I don't like to run, so I use the elliptical machine. It is easy on my knees, and I get a good sweat on it.

Start out easy, and work your way up. Don't hit it too hard all at once. You could burn yourself out if you do.

I am practicing MA three times a week for one hour. What else should I do? Should I lift on days that I train, or off days? There is an extensive weight collection available. I know I need to build cardio, how often should I run?

Since you say you ran distance (Me too, I ran CC), then figure your early season training is your best bet. Middle to long distance, slow to medium pace. Work into it, especially if you haven't run in a long time, and make sure that you get good shoes.

Alternatives are cycling, rollerblading and swimming. For my money, swimming is the best cardio available. It's whole body, REALLY works the cardiovascular, and is no impact. (Unless you count flip turns). Three to five times a week plus your MA workouts should be plenty.

What should my diet be? I have already added some whole wheat carbs into my low-fat diet, since reading several of the posts here. Are protien shakes an option for a guy like me who is slightly over weight, but loosing weight.

Diet is so person specific. Generally, eat 5-6 small meals a day, keep it in the general ratio of 50-60% protein, and split the rest equally between high quality carbs and fats. Eat your bigger meals as breakfast and lunch, and try not to eat much soon before you hit the hay. Go online and figure your calorie requirements out, then adjust your intake. Eating 3500 calories less than your needs in a week is a safe weight loss of about a pound a week. More than that is unhealthy unless you are really obese, in which case it will drop off fast to start.

I know I want to loose my weight slowly. Not a problem, I didn't gain it over night either.

If someone could give me a typical days meals, it would be great.

Thanks in advance, I probably shopuld have broke this post up.

Here's my meals currently:

Morning: Coffee, english muffin with cream cheese and smoked salmon, fruit.

Mid morning - Fruit, nuts. Occasionally some leftover fried rice or spaghetti.

Lunch - Mostly subway right now, or chef salad. (I have limited options at work, especially with no fridge available)

Afternoon - Fruit, nuts (I also have M&M's mixed in for the sweet tooth).

Dinner - chicken/turkey/pork, veggies, rice/pasta.

I also add the occasional protein shake/MRP about 4-5 times a week.

I'm not cutting, but I maintain anywhere from 177-182 (I'm 5'11"), and am at class 3-6 times per week depending on where in my tournament season I am.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

I like to run and try to get out 4 times a week. I buy good shoes and have no knee problems (I actually know more people in MA that have knee problems than runners that do). I am training distance right now, but if I were running just for MA, I would be doing a 5K plan that has short to mid mileage, tempo and hills built into the schedule. You get down to doing a low 20 something in the 5K and you will be kicking it (pun intended) in your classes. :lol:

I never could get the knack of swimming, I even tried last summer and took some lessons. It's too bad you can't use a snorkel in triathalons or I would be all over it. :brow:

I limit my carbs to natural carbs, try to eat protein based meals especially after the long runs occasionally throwing in a protein shake after a strenuous workout.

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thanks for the reply, Red and Aodhan.

I am around 195lb right now, I was up to 210 before I woke up. I am 5'11" and I figure my ideal weight to be around 175-180lb. Thanks for the advice. I have been working up to running, doing some short runs and jumping rope everyday.I love to swim, but it's just not handy for me. I live in a rural area and it's quite a distance to a YMCA.

Thanks alot folks....

When your on your back, it doesn't matter what put you there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nuts. I am 38 (will be 39 in OCtober), so I can shed some light on this topic for you. My metabolism started taking a dump a few years ago, so I assume you may be there too. One thing to remember, the older you get, the less empty calorie foods you should be eating. Everything you eat has to benefit you, so here's my rule of thumb:

1) Breakfast: high fiber cereal with skim milk. Cup of orange Juice, multivitamins, water, and fish oil supplement.

2) Snack: Protein bar or granola bar.

3) Lunch: Lean meat, veggies, and rice. Fist-sized portion of each. Iced Tea (unsweet) to drink.

4) Pre workout: Piece of fruit, big container of water.

5) Post workout: Protein shake with milk and bannana. (Within an hour)

6) Dinner: Depends...if I am full after the workout shake, that's it. I'll usually have a yogurt before sleeping.

Drink a lot of water all day, either plain or with Crystal Light.

In addition to your MA workouts, do cardio during the week, 30-40 mins of moderate 80% of target heartrate work. This will eliminate the flab if you have it.

Weight workouts should also be in there somewhere, unless you do a lot of calisthenics in class. Make sure you have two back-to-back recovery days in there somewhere.

I am 6' and 205, and at 12% bodyfat. Not bad for an older guy, soon to be 40.

Mixed Martial Artist

I won't comment on diet because I think there are too many variables.

As for your lifting frequency, remember the reason for lifting, muscle building. Muscle building happens in the recovery period, not the lifting, the lifting breaks the muscle down. As such, I would recommend you have days where you don't lift at all or that you alternate muscle groups.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.