• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Striking Speed

EarthElement

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there are any solid training methods to improve your striking speed. Im not talking about just punchs or kicks but knees and elbows as well. (and plam strikes)

I work on my striking power with the most obvious of methods, the heavy bag, however, there has to be an exercise or exercises to build up the speed my strikes travel.

This is kind of an important issue becuase of my body type. Im quite tall 6 2-3", and have a pretty awsome reach. The problem with that however: the distance my strikes must travel to reach the target. I feel it takes me far too long to reach across all that way and land the hit. (Id like to stay on the outside while i fight so i can actually use my advantage, instead of go in close and completly lose it.)

Any help would be appreciated. (basically im the embodyment of the tall guy at your class that likes to stay far and attempt to hammer you as you get close. :P )

My style was made by Chuck Norris, it's called:

Chuck-will-make-you-cluck-do

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

For training & fitness assistance in your training I'd suggest skipping rope as a major step toward speeding up your technique. Timing yourself during the last moments of a training session is also going to help out. In the last 60 seconds of your session go all out for speed, don't worry about putting all the power into the technique at that point. Simply focus on getting as many punches or kicks onto the bag as possible. Then track that time and try to beat it by a few seconds each time.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Then track that time and try to beat it by a few seconds each time.

Thanks for the tips but i didnt quite understand this last one. Are you suggesting counting the # of strikes in the 60 second interval and attempting to reduce the amount of time it takes to get to that # of strikes every session after? e.g. 150 strikes in 60 seconds, then next day go for 150 strikes in 55 seconds?

Sorry, the latter. Same strikes in lesser time.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

To help build your speed, build your explosiveness. You can do this with plyometric exercises for upper and lower body. You will want a good base of strength before you start, so if you don't lift weights, you should start.

To help build your speed, build your explosiveness. You can do this with plyometric exercises for upper and lower body. You will want a good base of strength before you start, so if you don't lift weights, you should start.

Thanks for the idea BM. Ive heard alot of speak about plyometrics around this site. Do you know of any good places i can get information on its exercises, or can you tell me any good starting ones yourself?

As far as a good base of strength, i do lift weights quite regularly, however there are some areas of my body that need significant improvement, but i am working on those. I understand the plyometric effect has something to do with increasing elasticity in the muscles, which then quickly contract to create speed. Is this true? And if it is shouldnt I increase my flexibility in order to be more effective? (Like streching and stuff)

Thanks for the idea BM. Ive heard alot of speak about plyometrics around this site. Do you know of any good places i can get information on its exercises, or can you tell me any good starting ones yourself?

As far as a good base of strength, i do lift weights quite regularly, however there are some areas of my body that need significant improvement, but i am working on those. I understand the plyometric effect has something to do with increasing elasticity in the muscles, which then quickly contract to create speed. Is this true? And if it is shouldnt I increase my flexibility in order to be more effective? (Like streching and stuff)

Yes, you want to improve flexibility, but you should be stretching daily anyways, so that will come with time.

Medicine ball throws between partners is a good exercise, and explosive push-ups can be great as well. There are footwork drills you can do to quicken your feet, and things like frog jumps and star jumps will improve explosiveness in the legs. Jumping Into Plyometrics, written by Donald Chu, is a great source. You could design a regimen from that to keep you going for a while.

Yes, you want to improve flexibility, but you should be stretching daily anyways, so that will come with time.

Medicine ball throws between partners is a good exercise, and explosive push-ups can be great as well. There are footwork drills you can do to quicken your feet, and things like frog jumps and star jumps will improve explosiveness in the legs. Jumping Into Plyometrics, written by Donald Chu, is a great source. You could design a regimen from that to keep you going for a while.

Ok great, thanks alot BM, ill definatly check out that book.

• 1 month later...

shadow boxing. practice makes perfect in everything! explosivness is a definet thing to work on for speed. you also have to snap it, bring your hand back as quick as you throw it. also get your whole body into your punch, kick, knee strike, elbow, everything draw power from the ground. twist your hips. wieght traiining and stretching is a must. do alot of back exercises as for you use the back muscles for punches not the biceps or triceps as alot of people think. hope this helps. oh as for knee strikes you will probably have a hold on a part on their body. push off the floor with the foot that has the knee that is doing the striking and with the other foot raise to the ball of it. and since you most likely have a hold on their body in some way use your strength and bring them to you. as another thing to help do not telegraph as this will help not your speed but the surpris ness of the attack.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.

- martial arts legend:bruce lee

I work on my striking power with the most obvious of methods, the heavy bag, however, there has to be an exercise or exercises to build up the speed my strikes travel.

same obvious answer for working speed - striking as fast as possible. Use your heavy bag. Time 30 seconds and strike as fast as you can the full 30 seconds. rest for 10, then repeat.

Plyometrics also work well.