• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

knee injuries/meniscus tears

thanks, that's really helpful. I really don't know what specifically caused the injuries, but the scoping was a tremendous help and the pain is gone in both knees. I am now working on strengthening my quads and hamstrings in hopes of preventing future injuries, but I can easily incorporate cycling into my routine. thanks :D

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still recovering from my last knee surgery-16 months ago. Repeat meniscus tears are common ( I have re-torn twice now) as is arthiritis after removal. My advice to all is to take care of your knees now!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

I am still recovering from my last knee surgery-16 months ago. Repeat meniscus tears are common ( I have re-torn twice now) as is arthiritis after removal. My advice to all is to take care of your knees now!

8)

I'm glad to find someone who has dealt with the same thing. Did you have a meniscus removal 16 months ago, and if so did you have a lateral release? I was told to strengthen my quads and hamstrings, have you tried that and do you know if there is anything else you can do to prevent further injuries?

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

Nike Ad.

I had a partial removal of the posterior lateral meniscus (again!) and a procedure called microfracture to fill a defect in the anterior medial cartlidge. I still have pain in the posterior lateral area, probably due to micro tears and arthritis so I am looking at another scope and procedure in the future. No lateral release for me as my knee cap sits nicely, however my son had that done after dislocating his kneecap and his knee is fine. He was not deligent about his quad exercises either-kids!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Thanks so much for your input, I hope your future takes care of it. I am going to try to be diligent about my excercises, I have a 16 yr old son who does TKD also but no knee injuries as of yet. He has long slender legs like me so I hope that's not a factor. Take care and good luck!

Nike Ad.

• 3 months later...

Years ago I had a "horse shoe" tear of the medial meniscus. This is where one half separates from the bone and flips over. The doctor said, I've got good news and bad news." That always gets me nervous when I hear that! :)

The good news: It was torn clean so it could be reattached. Benefit = "shock absorber" in the knee would still be effective.

The bad news: Instead of being up on my feet within a couple of days of a scope I was in bed for a couple of weeks because the slow healing process of cartilage from the lack of blood circulation it gets in general.

Years later my knee is doing great. Did the rehab, and glad I did.

Keeping any area strong will help prevent injuries. When an injury does come along, without a major trauma, we see where our weaker areas are and can look to improve them in the future.

Wishing you the best in the future Akaratechick.

Take care. :)

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

I'm a veteran of knee issues too, although mine was not caused by MA. One thing that's plain to me is that any twisting motion with the body, without having the foot follow, will cause damage to the knees. My instructor calls this not pivoting. If you pivot the supporting foot as you kick, to keep the knee aligned, it makes the knee less prone to injury. My instructor tore his ACL because his foot stuck to a mat when he went to kick, twisting the knee.

A lateral release is typically done for patellar tilt issues, some surgeons also do it because of lateral tracking issues with the patella. Failure to follow a good exercise regimen to strengthen the VMO muscle in the medial thigh,(along with the rest of the muscles supporting the knee) can contribute to lateral tracking issues.

I won't go into my issues, of which there are several components, let's just say that my knee is permanently damaged and that a replacement is in my future.

what goes around, comes around

I have been having knee problems as of late, and the pain is getting to be quite unbearable. I am hoping to get them looked at sometime soon. Hopefully, after the new year.

I know it is tough training with an injury. You may already do this but I wear a brace on both knees and use Biofreeze at every workout and take my joint supplements religiously. I think my knee injuries are due to me cheating when I kick. I use my flexibilty and don't always pivot. I am training for 1st Dan now and my knees are really being put to the test as I am focusing on deepening my stances. I hope your knee injury is not serious. Take care

Nike Ad.