• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

knee injuries/meniscus tears

Just curious about cartilidge tears in the knee, how many out there have experienced them? I have been doing TKD and other arts for about six years and have had both knees scoped recently :( with very good results but am somewhat concerned about future injuries. If anyone can relate or comment that would be great, thanks. I wonder if they are a common injuries for MA and if so for females more than men?

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

“AND YOU WILL TELL THEM YES."

Nike Ad.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anything official, because I refuse to see a doctor about them! Unfortunately, my knees hurt a lot, all of the time. My instructor has miniscus tears, and has had his knee scoped a couple of times. So much kicking impact will tend to do that.

As for how common it is, I cannot be certain.

I don't have anything official, because I refuse to see a doctor about them! Unfortunately, my knees hurt a lot, all of the time. My instructor has miniscus tears, and has had his knee scoped a couple of times. So much kicking impact will tend to do that.

As for how common it is, I cannot be certain.

The scope isn't a big deal and the recovery is quick, but not being able to train as hard stinks, I get my stitches out tomorrow. :brow:

"All your life you are told the things you cannot do. They will say you're not good enough, strong enough or talented enough; you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or achieve this. THEY WILL TELL YOU NO, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. ………..….

Nike Ad.

It is certainly seems that women doing sports of all kinds are more succeptible to knee injuries.

I do not know where, but I read recently that women should do more weight training, specifically squats & deadlifts, to improve knee stability and strength.

If you think only of hitting, springing, striking or touching the enemy, you will not be able actually to cut him. You must thoroughly research this. - Musashi

It is certainly seems that women doing sports of all kinds are more succeptible to knee injuries.

I do not know where, but I read recently that women should do more weight training, specifically squats & deadlifts, to improve knee stability and strength.

Yes, you are right I have read the same thing. I actually got my stitches out today and they told me that squats were ok, but form was really important, which I already knew. So I am off to the gym for some strength training 8)

Nike Ad.

I've only encountered a few MA's w/ knee issues (that I'm aware of) and even fewer that recieved them from doing MA training. On the other hand I have dealt w/ MANY people that have experiences knee injuries from sports like skiing and snowboarding. One thing that seems to keep coming up is that the knee rarely seems to return fully to the level it was before, and is usually more susceptible to future re-injury.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

Not just women, everyone who participates in high intensity exercise should do them. Specifically medium weight, high repetition, low impact (i.e. execute each rep slowly, maximizing the amount of time the muscle is engaged) workouts, with lots of stretching mixed in. This will not only strengthen the muscles supporting the joint, but will also increase the maximum extension and elasticity of the tendons, making them less susceptible to injury from rapid motion, and especially from rapid direction change. :karate:

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I just wonder about long term injuries in general from martial arts. For example, many professional ballet dancers will get hip replacements in middle age often due to having spent their life doing the splits. Likewise, in most martial arts classes, stretching by doing the splits is typically demanded every day.

There are no limits.

http://taekwondodiaries.blogspot.com

^^*

That's a good point. My sister asked me recently if I was worried about the future injuries to my knees and I told her I was more worried about being overweight and sedentary :cry: As we age we are more susceptible to inuries for one reason or another but I believe a strong physically fit body will minimize those inuries. and we are happier :D because we are doing something we are passionate about 8)

Nike Ad.

kicking dosen't cause knee injuries(unless you kick a post), wrong landing does, in particular landing without balance on one leg, and you can't control it most of the times, it just happens.

slow and long distance cycling is one of the best things you can do to heal knee injuries,