• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have an odd situation here

i agree with jiffy, if you have signed a contract, you have done so with the school, not with the instructor.

at my school, which happens to be Jiffy's school, the sensei (who is BB+ in the 4 arts that the school teach) has gone to england for a month and is unable to take the classes.

now jiffy, who currently only holds a BB in karate (until he grades soon) has taken over the teaching of all the classes.

he is more than capable of teaching in all the styles as he has had a lot of exposure to them and they either have the same or similar techniques in other styles that he has trained in.

All the students are happy to continue paying for the tuition even tho it is not being provided by the sensei.

moral = if you have been using the schools facilities and have received some sort of benefit from the school, you are still liable for the payments made, as they have not breached the contract that you have entered. however if you have gone to the school and found that the lessons have been cancelled etc, then you will be able to get out of it.

as for him suing for false arrest, im pretty sure he wont be able to if the evidence was strong enough to get an arrest warrant. remember, an arrest is not a conviction and does not require the same amount of evidence.

Now you use head for something other than target.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Shucks, Thanks Zorbasan!!

But yeah, although I do not have a BB in a couple of the styles being taught, I do have more experience than those being taught. As far as I'm concerned (as are the students), as this is only a temporary measure, I am capable of continuing their learning while Sensei is away and therefore they should continue their payments.

I wouldn't be able to do it on a permanant basis, but for a month, it doesn't affect them at all.

That's the same as this situation I think. If you're still receiving tuition, although it might not be to quite the standard you expected, they are still incurring costs and inconveniences for your benefit, so payment should be made.

As previously stated though, if you received no training at all, don't pay.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

It sounds to me like desperate situations for this man are calling for his desperate measures. Let's look on the bright side first, he made a mistake, but he showed the courage and honour to be honest with you. That took guts, weather you are annoyed at him or not, he deserves some respect for that!

As for the money. If you were being taught for the period he is claiming dues (regardless if it was him or one of his sub-ordinates) then you owe dues. You may not have been taught by him, but you still received instruction, use of facilities etc etc. After that time, I would politely say my goodbyes and move on. If on the other hand, you received no instruction, skip the payment part, politely say your goodbyes and move on.

I agree. This is great advice.

The best victory is when the opponent surrenders

of its own accord before there are any actual

hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.

- Sun-tzu

Just as others have said, if you used the facility even though he was away, then you should pay dues, but then find another place to train. This is a bad situation, but I think you already knew that.

A great martial artist is one who is humble and respectful of others.