• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have an odd situation here

Run, don't walk, away from this guy.

With respect,

Sohan

Agreed

I agree with these 2 gentlemen. It sounds like your gut is telling you the same thing.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if he's asking for money that you don't really owe him, then get out of it as others have said. however, if he's asking for money that you do rightly owe him, then i wouldn't be so quick to leave. i don't really know anything about this guy, but its possible that he's done nothing wrong. i guess it comes down to how much you trust him, and how likely you think it is that he's gonna come back to teaching. for now i'd find somewhere else to train, pay him what you owe him (if you really owe him it) but keep an eye out for him coming back.

i've had one or two classes here and there where i've ended up being taught by guys a rank or two above me, and it sucks. i wouldn't bother with that if you can find somewhere else to train.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

I would find another school, if I were you. Even if it means starting over completely, or learning a different style.

Also, be careful who you associate with, as the reputation of an instructor may get wrongly passed on to his students.

if he's asking for money that you don't really owe him, then get out of it as others have said. however, if he's asking for money that you do rightly owe him, then i wouldn't be so quick to leave. i don't really know anything about this guy, but its possible that he's done nothing wrong. i guess it comes down to how much you trust him, and how likely you think it is that he's gonna come back to teaching. for now i'd find somewhere else to train, pay him what you owe him (if you really owe him it) but keep an eye out for him coming back.

i've had one or two classes here and there where i've ended up being taught by guys a rank or two above me, and it sucks. i wouldn't bother with that if you can find somewhere else to train.

I agree here! IF you owe him money, the only correct thing is to pay him what you owe! Next, I would honestly ask myself..."Do I think this person could have done what he's being charged with?" If the answer is yes, you should move on to a more trustworthy instructor.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

it's sad, I used to work for a company that did contract work for child protective services. Children would cry to go home with their crack head mothers that were prostitutes who would leave them alone while they turned tricks. People would try to help these children, and the would cry and outstretch their arms to their moms. I had to quit because the anguish was to hard to take. I'm feeling that again.

1. if your instuctor is innocent, then he would sue the police for falsely arresting him, and become rich beyond his dreams. In the mean time you would have found a different instructor.

2. If your instructor is guilty, he will be found so, and you will need to have a different instructor. In the mean time, while he is waiting to be found guilty, you should have found a different instructor.

sounds like you need to find a different instructor.

place clever martial arts phrase here

This might sound odd of me, but he admitted to his instructors that he is guilty. He sat all of us down and let us know what was gonna happen, I did not expect him to get arrested AGAIN and then ask for back pay for while in jail. The fact that he wasnt teaching, I look at as a breach of contract. I dont feel I should pay anything, am I wrong?

I think I will pobably find a grappling school to join anyway to round myself out.

There is no teacher but the enemy.

Based on your last post I think the majority of people have the right idea. Move on. At least he had the decency to sit you down and admit he was guilty. On the other hand, then asking for payment while he was in jail is like a slap in the face after that. I would just move on, if for no other reason he is not going to be focused on the student's training, and then it does no good for you to be there.

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.

It sounds to me like desperate situations for this man are calling for his desperate measures. Let's look on the bright side first, he made a mistake, but he showed the courage and honour to be honest with you. That took guts, weather you are annoyed at him or not, he deserves some respect for that!

As for the money. If you were being taught for the period he is claiming dues (regardless if it was him or one of his sub-ordinates) then you owe dues. You may not have been taught by him, but you still received instruction, use of facilities etc etc. After that time, I would politely say my goodbyes and move on. If on the other hand, you received no instruction, skip the payment part, politely say your goodbyes and move on.

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.