• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

universal tang soo do

Do you know what universal tang soo do is?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know what universal tang soo do is?

• yes
    • no

So you don't beleive in intellectual property? Hwang Kee and his federation cant' controll the spread of Hwa Sun and Chil Sun....? So we should go get the ATA TKD forms and I can do them AND call my school ATA TKD?

John

I wouldn't recommend this course of action!! The ATA forms are copyrighted, and you would be in some serious trouble for that! They basically run under a franchise, so you would want to be careful there.

Hmmm... thanks for proving my point.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if Hwang Kee never copyrighted his material, then I don't know if it can be copyrighted now.

I see the same thing with the International Taekwondo Federation form set, the Chang 'on forms. They were never copyrighted, to my knowledge, and anybody who decides to break away and form their own association, ends up using these forms. I have seen them many times, in many books, all with a little variation here and there. The association that I am with currently uses this form system.

However, if Hwang Kee never copyrighted his material, then I don't know if it can be copyrighted now.

I see the same thing with the International Taekwondo Federation form set, the Chang 'on forms. They were never copyrighted, to my knowledge, and anybody who decides to break away and form their own association, ends up using these forms. I have seen them many times, in many books, all with a little variation here and there. The association that I am with currently uses this form system.

On the federation website (can't find page again right now....) they have Trademarked Moo Duk Kwan and have copyright on the Hwang Kee created forms. But there are schools out there that perform the Yuk Ro, Hwa Sun, etc. I wonder if forms should be able to have copyright. I understand trademarking Moo Duk Kwan, because that is the name of the institution not the art....

So you don't beleive in intellectual property?

Sure I do. Problem is, My instructors (to my knowledge) and I have never signed releases forbidding that we teach what we've learned to others outside of the MDK or our organization.

TANG SOO!

On the federation website (can't find page again right now....) they have Trademarked Moo Duk Kwan and have copyright on the Hwang Kee created forms. But there are schools out there that perform the Yuk Ro, Hwa Sun, etc. I wonder if forms should be able to have copyright. I understand trademarking Moo Duk Kwan, because that is the name of the institution not the art....

I see your point, but look at it this way. You can write it down on paper, and then perform it. A play or a book is the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

actually, my master has broken away.....sorta..... because he has very little relations with the federation he is in. He is only third dan because he did his forms one way and grandmaster(i think) ahpo wanted him to do it his way. he was a cho dan then ahpo stripped him of his rank and made him into an orange belt. he reworked his way up to third dan.

actually, my master has broken away.....sorta..... because he has very little relations with the federation he is in. He is only third dan because he did his forms one way and grandmaster(i think) ahpo wanted him to do it his way. he was a cho dan then ahpo stripped him of his rank and made him into an orange belt. he reworked his way up to third dan.

Hmm, that is very interesting. I don't get much into the TSD circles, although I do like to hear about them. I will have to do some more searching, I think.

• 2 months later...