• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

kicking with regards to flexibility/strength

KarateKid7

slow kicking.

when it comes to practicing them, we all hate doing them and seeing the higher grades perform them with ease. breaks our confidence totali. what kind of stretches/exercises will specificialli help height and control with slow kicks...

im expecting a reply saying "practice". i mean beyond that, any specifics would be much appreciated. stretches/specific isometrics etc.

my slow kicks are appauling literalli cant get above stomach height and my left is worse than the right so i want to get a symmetrical level of dynamic kicking control atleast.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I would suggest doing stretches like you see dancers doing. Lean up against a bar or whatever's comfortable for you and have someone hold your leg up as far as it will go. You can also turn to the side and have them raise your leg up as you're doing a round kick or side kick. We do this every day in class and it really helps with flexibility. Hope this helps! :)

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."

There are two things necessary for high kicking; the first, obviously, is flexiblity. The second, is leg strength. Without strong legs, flexibility won't be worth much.

To build strength for the way you describe slow kicking, try this:

1. Stand close to a wall. Prepare for a side kick.

2. a. Chamber your leg, and hold it high, for 10 seconds,

b. Now, grab the chamber, and pull it higher, and hold for 10 seconds.

3. a. Extend your leg to side kick position, and hold for 10 seconds.

b. Now, raise your leg up a little higher, until you feel that knot in your thigh. Hold for 10 seconds.

4. Rechamber, and return to the floor.

When I am done there, I like to cry for about 10 minutes, and when the pain is gone, I do it again. :lol: Just kidding, but you should feel this.

Next, do this:

1. Stand close to a wall, and prepare for side kick.

2. Extend the leg out to waist level.

3. Without swinging, and in a controlled motion, raise the leg as high as you can, and then lower it to below waist level. Then, in a controlled manner, raise the leg again, as high as you can.

You can do these exercised with side, round, and front kick positions, to work all kinds of muscles and angles.

For flexibility, do some active/passive and PNF stretching with a partner. In about 3 weeks, you should beging to see results, if you do these 2 to 3 times a week.

im im necver listening to your flying instructions either! :lol:

"Sword-Chucks yo."

Yes, thanks a lot guys.  Hey, kamasandsais, that was something that you knew that I did not!! 
<---blackmail hahahahhaha bushido

We see your question time and time and time again.... "Besides "Practise" what else can I do". The answer is nothing..... it's just a matter of time. You mentioned that the higher grades are really good with it... that's because they are higher grades. Don't be upset about someone being better at something, learn from them.

Patience is the key grasshopper!!

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Thanks for your advice everyone. Bushido your tips were exactly the sort i was looking for but nonetheless greatful for everyones contribution.

Osu.

Train Hard.

"Life is a journey, not a destination"

"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless"

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do"