• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A few Questions about BJJ and my body type

Hello all,

Im new to this forum and found it very fascinating. I am learning BJJ because i heard so much about and i wanted to give it a go. This is also my first type of martial arts ever. Anyways I just have a few simple questions that hopefully someone will answer :)

1)I am 5'8 and weight about 145lbs ectomorph...my question is will BJJ Help me go against people that are taller and weigh more than me?

2) All the people in my class are much bigger or have a better body type than me...should i go to a new class or should i stay and motivate myself to beat these guys?

3)Will BJJ help me gain self-confidence and self-respect?

thanks in advance

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have just finished reading the opening of the book Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Technique and Theory. In the short part that I have read, there are details on Royler Gracie, who was almost always smaller than his opponents, and is one of the most respected fighters in the world. The book actually discusses how this style can help the smaller fighter neutralize a bigger opponent. With technique, a smaller person can overcome larger opponents.

I'd say that BJJ will help you in all of the aspects that you have mentioned. Work hard, and you will reap rewards.

Good luck to you! :karate:

Good choice on the book, Bushido.

BJJBeginner:

1. BJJ is designed to help smalller people defeat larger and stronger foes, and it (unlike MANY other arts) actually has tons of evidence to back up that claim.

2. EVERYONE gets his butt kicked when he first starts BJJ. It's a learning experience. You wouldn't be learning very much if you dominated everybody from the beginning now would you?

As for your physical conditioning, BJJ will do nothing but improve it. You could also start doing supplementary strength, cardio, and other kinds of physical training. I suspect you are young yet, so get some help from someone who knows what he is talking about.

3. BJJ WILL help you gain confidence and self-respect.

If it works, use it!

If not, throw it out!

Helio Gracie was small and thin, he made his jiu-jitsu game much more technical than his brothers more agressive style, so yes it will help you

"Without Jiu Jitsu its like without my two legs."

-Rickson Gracie

https://www.myspace.com/cobraguard

thanks everyone for the replies :)

im 19 yrs old and i have been doing some weight training...pretty weak though :) i was only able to do 150lbs twice. Anyways i heard in BJJ strength is not always the keyfactor? is this true? Not that i am going to stop weight training..i actually do wanna get a lot stronger

thanks everyone for the replies :)

im 19 yrs old and i have been doing some weight training...pretty weak though :) i was only able to do 150lbs twice. Anyways i heard in BJJ strength is not always the keyfactor? is this true? Not that i am going to stop weight training..i actually do wanna get a lot stronger

You will naturally get stronger doing BJJ. And it is more functional strength than what you get with weight training.

Strength is a factor, but BJJ helps put it on a somewhat level playing field. If you sink a good rear naked choke, you can still tap someone out if you have good technique and not much strength. But you may have to work harder, since some of the stronger guys can muscle out of a hold you have on them. I can do this with some of the smaller guys, but they always have something in their bag that catches me...sometimes. :D

Mixed Martial Artist

I have just finished reading the opening of the book Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Technique and Theory. In the short part that I have read, there are details on Royler Gracie, who was almost always smaller than his opponents, and is one of the most respected fighters in the world.

I think maybe you mean Royce, not Royler. Anyway, yea- look at Royce's track record. He beat the roid-raging Kimo, and Dan Severn, and Ken Shamrock.

Edited by RicksonFan

i appriciate the replys guys

i just had my 3rd day at BJJ and im starting to really like it. Although my midsection is really starting to hurt..i thought i might've gotten hernia or something :-? I think i will stick with BJJ and then move on to striking MA's. :)

And about the book with Royce in it..i will definately have a look at that :)

I have just finished reading the opening of the book Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: Technique and Theory. In the short part that I have read, there are details on Royler Gracie, who was almost always smaller than his opponents, and is one of the most respected fighters in the world.

quote]

I think maybe you mean Royce, not Royler. Anyway, yea- look at Royce's track record. He beat the roid-raging Kimo, and Dan Severn, and Ken Shamrock.

The book is written by Royler, Renzo, Kid Peligro, and John Danaher. It is in the intro written about Royler.

quote]

No, he meant Royler....